Introducing New HomeShield Firmware for Archer AX55

Introducing New HomeShield Firmware for Archer AX55

44 Reply
Re:Introducing New HomeShield Firmware for Archer AX55
2023-05-24 18:41:53

@Kevin_Z

Additional Information on Wi-Fi Connections - Hope it helps!

In this same thread in an earlier post, I mentioned something about the security options list not being the same for all three networks.

After extensive testing today of device Wi-Fi connections in Wireless Router mode, it was determined that some older devices (such as an older generation iPad and several Samsung smart TVs) will not connect to the guest network if the security is set to WPA2/WPA3-Personal. The devices are WPA2 compatible and connect fine in the main and IoT networks when WPA2-PSK[AES] is selected. This option is not available in the guest network and it necessary to select WPA/WPA2-Personal to get the devices connected. The WPA protocol is some 20 years old and has its vulnerabilities and I would prefer not to allow it if possible. The next firmware upgrade should make the security options the same for all three networks and also allow selection of just WPA2 without WPA.

To take advantage of the test setup, the AX55 was later set to operate in the Access Point mode and the device connections were again tested to confirm what I posted earlier. The AX55 tested is a different router but with the same pre-release firmware. The test results are attached and they show that the IoT network is not functioning correctly. The AX55 web interface in most cases shows a device as connected with an apparently valid IP address and signal strength icon in the Interface column of the clients list. However the device never really connects. Some devices continue to show a spinning icon while others state they are connected but without any internet. The root of the problem appears to be that devices are not receiving the IP address correctly from the DHCP server. I now leave that for the engineers to figure out.

File:
Test Results - AP mode.pdfDownload
Options
2023-05-25 18:41:54

@Kevin_Z 

Hopefully one last problem...

In an earlier post (#9 in this thread), I mentioned that the Wi-Fi radio signals drop when making configuration changes in the AX55’s Access Point mode. I have confirmed the problem occurs when enabling/disabling the Airtime Fairness option in the Wireless Additional Settings. As soon as the change is saved, the radio signals drop but the router web interface and the front panel LEDs show everything as normal. The back panel Wi-Fi on/off button will restore the radio signals; first by turning Wi-Fi off (as seen by the LEDs), then back on. The radio signals can also be restored by disabling the main networks and then re-enabling them in the web interface. If you disable and then re-enable only one network (such as the 2.4G), then only that network’s radio signals are restored.

Allow me to add one more comment on yesterday’s post (#22). Using Wireshark on the Wi-Fi adapter of a laptop, and attempting to connect to the IoT network, one can see the DHCP Discover packets are transmitted but no Offer packets are ever returned over the connection. On the main and guest networks, the Discover, Offer, Request, and Ack packets correctly appear.

Options
2023-06-01 08:10:28

@jra11500 

Thanks so much for sharing all the sufficient tests with the early released firmware and IoT network. We appreciate all of that.

With regard to the IoT network, I believe it will be fixed in the stable official version soon. Let's wait for the official release.

For the Guest Network, do you mean you cannot choose WPA/WPA2-Personal from the dropdown list? Can I have a screenshot of the Guest Network Security settings?

Options
2023-06-02 08:11:22 - last edited 2023-06-02 08:22:14

@Kevin_Z 

Yes, I can select WPA/WPA2-Personal in the Guest network but I want to select WPA2-PSK[AES] and not use WPA. The drop-down lists for the different networks should show the same options with the same syntax.

Here are the screenshots:

Main Network

Guest Network

IoT Network

Options
2023-06-02 09:06:55

@jra11500 

I see. Thank you very much for the clarification.

I will feedback to the development team and they will evaluate how to optimize the Guest Network security settings.

Options
2023-06-06 08:05:31 - last edited 2023-06-06 08:06:17

@jra11500 I have the same issue. 

ISP -> TP Link Switch -> TP Link Repeater as AP and 3rd party AP router. The latter two APs do not lose internet but the AX55 loses internet connection. Always have to power cycle; such a hassle. I also tried turning off Easy Mesh and some advanced wireless settings but it always loses the internet on AX55. Note that I have the IoT and Guest off/on, tested, too, same issue.

Options
2023-06-07 01:24:05

FoxyReign wrote

@jra11500 I have the same issue. 

ISP -> TP Link Switch -> TP Link Repeater as AP and 3rd party AP router. The latter two APs do not lose internet but the AX55 loses internet connection. Always have to power cycle; such a hassle. I also tried turning off Easy Mesh and some advanced wireless settings but it always loses the internet on AX55. Note that I have the IoT and Guest off/on, tested, too, same issue.

Hello @FoxyReign 

Are you saying the wireless connection on the AX55 is not stable and drops from the internet but the devices connected to it via cables are working fine?

How about the internet LED on the AX55, is it always green or will it turn orange when the internet drops?

Our developers did provide a beta firmware to help fix similar issues, please visit the following thread and install the beta version to monitor if you will get a stable connection:

Solution to Archer AX55 V1 Firmware 1.2.2 Build 20230511 dropping internet issue

Please let me know if this beta firmware helps or not. Thank you.

Options
2023-06-07 04:34:51

@Kevin_Z it stays green while it drops the wireless connection on the AX55 while the other wireless APs have internet connection. Note that the the other two APs are connected via backhaul with the same SSID as the main router - the AX55. 

Ill upgrade the firmware later and will let you know if it works.

Options
2023-06-07 19:06:23

@Kevin_Z 

In thread #31 above, you provide a link to a possible solution for the latest firmware. The link takes you to the US forum. Is the solution compatible with the AX55 EU versions? The firmware links have (US) in their version numbers.

Options
2023-06-08 11:07:21

@FoxyReign 

Our developer provided a newer beta version that fixes some other issues, you may install the latest beta firmware to observe if the internet will be stable. Thank you.

@jra11500 

Yes, you can install the beta firmware we provided in the US community also, and that one is also applied to the EU hardware.

BTW, the latest beta firmware also fixes the reported IoT network issue you experienced previously, please help check if the IoT network will work properly with this beta version. Thank you.

Options