Deco e4 and Powerline adapters

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-14 21:40:18 - last edited 2023-07-11 08:30:21

Currently, I have the main Deco plugged into the router, and they are located in a cupboard. The other 2 Decos are scattered around my house.

I want to improve the Wi-Fi signal and I think the main problem is the router and the main Deco are in an enclosed space in the cupboard.

Unfortunately, the router has to stay where it is.

However, could I keep the router in the cupboard and use 2 powerline adapters to get around the cupboard problem (one for the router in the cupboard and one outside of the cupboard), and then use the Deco system to extend a better signal around my house (by connecting the main Deco to the non-cupboard powerline adapter)?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco e4 and Powerline adapters
2023-05-15 04:36:55

@Psyurmh 

My building is concrete so I get no Wifi signal on the 2nd floor. I use a powerline adapter to connect a Deco M5 on the 2nd floor to the main unit on the 1st floor. This uses the "Ethernet backhaul" functionality of my Deco M5 (your E4 also supports it). The WIFI speed on the 2nd floor is therefore limited to what the powerline can manage. The other Decos operate at max Wifi speed. 

The way you have explained your setup, you won't be using backhaul -- the main Deco will use the powerline device to connect to the router. This means all the devices in your house will be limited to whatever speed the powerline adapter can give you. My experience is they usually don't get faster than 8MB/s, but it depends on the adapter and the electrical system in your house. That's the only downside, and it might not be a problem, but if you are paying for high speed internet you probably won't achieve the max speed you are paying for.

BTW The Deco PX50 and P9 systems have powerline capability built in, so you don't need extra powerline units.

Options
2023-05-15 05:55:48

Neill78 wrote

@Psyurmh 

My building is concrete so I get no Wifi signal on the 2nd floor. I use a powerline adapter to connect a Deco M5 on the 2nd floor to the main unit on the 1st floor. This uses the "Ethernet backhaul" functionality of my Deco M5 (your E4 also supports it). The WIFI speed on the 2nd floor is therefore limited to what the powerline can manage. The other Decos operate at max Wifi speed. 

The way you have explained your setup, you won't be using backhaul -- the main Deco will use the powerline device to connect to the router. This means all the devices in your house will be limited to whatever speed the powerline adapter can give you. My experience is they usually don't get faster than 8MB/s, but it depends on the adapter and the electrical system in your house. That's the only downside, and it might not be a problem, but if you are paying for high speed internet you probably won't achieve the max speed you are paying for.

BTW The Deco PX50 and P9 systems have powerline capability built in, so you don't need extra powerline units.

@Neill78 thank you so much for your reply.

I'm a novice and I think I follow (I pay for 1GB wifi btw).

Is there a solution to my problem? Will I not have the same issue if purchase the PX50 or P9 systems? What do you think is my best option?

Cheers.

Options
2023-05-15 06:08:04
And are you saying there’s no point using a powerline adapter for the main deco next to the router?
Options
2023-05-15 06:44:59

@Psyurmh 

Hi, Under the current network layout, 

I believe Neil tried to say that it should work well, but the main Deco E4 would get internet from the ISP router via a powerline link. so the total internet bandwidth from E4 will depend on the powerline performance. Sometimes it could be very slow and doesn't get faster than 8MB/s. So if you tend to use the powerline adapters to extend the network, it would be better to make sure the internet bandwidth did not lose too much through the powerline link first.

(Normally, the internet bandwidth could be about 30% of the advertised powerline rate and it could be less if the house's electrical system is old and aging.)

By the way, Deco E4 has 2× 10/100 Mbps Ports and its Ethernet speed is up to 100m/s. if the provided internet bandwidth is more than 100m/s, E4 might not be a good choice.

As for Deco PX50 and P9, they are Deco mesh systems which are also capable of powerline Mesh(PX50 used G.hn powerline and P9 is Homeplug AV/AV2)

So they could also used to replace the powerline adapters, and build up Mesh network with the rest satellite Decos.

Thank you very much.

best regards.

Options
2023-05-15 07:00:23

@Psyurmh 

David-TP gave a good answer.

Your solution will improve the Wifi signal but your total network/internet speed may drop because all the traffic will go through the powerline device, and they are not usually very fast.

But if you are currently having connection trouble or speed issues, the powerline adapters will probably solve it. 

Options
2023-05-16 21:33:02

@Neill78 

Thank you.

With my current setup (ethernet cable from router to main deco), should I select the operation mode to AP mode in the Deco app? Instead, it is currently set up in wifi router mode and I'm wondering if that could be a contributing factor for the poor performance.

Alterno, should the deco be in WiFi router mode, but the main deco doesn't need to be near the router and/or connected by the Ethernet cable?

Sorry for the basic questions.

Options
2023-07-20 13:14:45

@Psyurmh 

If the router/modem from your ISP is actually a router and not a modem (more than 1 ethernet port), then it might be a good idea to switch the Decos to AP mode. It MIGHT improve your performance.

Also, if the ISP router has wireless, you should turn its wireless off and let the Deco handle all wireless traffic. Part of your performance trouble could be wireless interference. 

Neill

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 780

Replies: 7

Related Articles