Deco has temporarily switched your Wi-FI channel width to 80 MHz due to detected radar signals.

Deco has temporarily switched your Wi-FI channel width to 80 MHz due to detected radar signals.

64 Reply
Re:Deco has temporarily switched your Wi-FI channel width to 80 MHz due to detected radar signals.
2023-07-17 11:40:36

@JakeATX 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

After consulting the engineers, they explained that, When the Deco used the 160MHz wireless width, the router needs to occupy 8 channels, 36/40/44/48/52/56/60/64. Channel 52 to channel 64 belong to DFS channels. If a radar signal has been detected among these channels, the router needs to jump to the Non-DFS channel automatically.

The DFS policy has to be followed during production and would be strictly tested by Authorized third-party testing agencies afterward. So the accuracy of the DFS function is guaranteed, it is still very likely there are radar or radar-like waveforms in your environment.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Deco has temporarily switched your Wi-FI channel width to 80 MHz due to detected radar signals.
2023-07-21 08:57:50

@David-TP 

Hello David, Thanks for chasing this up.

The issue that myself and others are having is not the auto switching to 80 MHZ but the fact that when it does happen it firstly causing the network to become unstable , devices lose connection ( thankfully temporarily for me ) . But also even if i leave it for few nights is does not auto switch back to 160 where it should be doing this in the night time as per design. Can certain dfs channels be avoided which a new option in the firmware. 

Can this be looked at by engineers so that the auto switching can be improved.  

Options
2023-07-21 09:16:09

@IntrovertSins i experience the same, for the sake of stability but with less speed, i turn off auto switching so turn off auto switching and stick to 80MHz on 5GHz band. I agree that the auto switching is fine and needed but its not graceful for many devices.

Options
2023-08-02 00:21:38

deco_x55 wrote

Any updates from Tplink support with that issue of switching back to 80mhz with software update?

This issue is really annoying and is not observed on nokia router when connected in the same house.

@deco_x55 

Hi @deco_x55,  I just switched from Decco S4 to X55.  This is very frustrating!  

Are you switching to a different Decco unit? 

Is TP-LINK releasing a firmware update to address this concern?

Thank you,

JimmyDee GreenBay 

Options
2023-08-04 08:28:40

Hi @JimmyDee 

I switched from deco S4 to XE75.

This is really frustrating, I have a lot of tp link devices, this is the first time I see them ignoring customers issues.

For me I got the Xe75 yesterday, so I can give them sometime to fix it before switching to a different router.

Options
2023-08-10 20:35:47 - last edited 2023-08-10 21:35:05

I would also like to add my voice to this. I am in the middle of a new build estate in the UK. There is nothing that could be remotely using radar near my location, yet a few times a week the Deco will switch from 160mhz to 80mhz.

It's EXTREMELY annoying. Surely in a firmware update you can put a setting to turn this "feature" on or off? Other routers have such a feature, and it would fix my greatest complaint with this device.

Options
2023-08-10 21:39:01

@JohnLawyer when you mean switch it off? Do you mean keep it on 80GHz instead of going back to 160 and then to 80 automatically?

you can do that already....

I keep mine on 80GHz as the auto-switching also drove me mad.

More -> WiFi Settings -> 5GHz -> Advanced -> Channel width for 5GHz -> set to 80GHz

You cant force to keep it on 160GHz (auto switch has to happen on this setting)

Options
2023-08-10 21:46:09

@dlfranks No, I mean turn off the "feature" that switches it from 160mhz to 80mhz when radar is detected, so it just stays on 160mhz the whole time regardless.

Other routers have this feature, so I don't see why a firmware update couldn't cure this for everyone? 

It seems the problem is that it's far too sensitive to be of any use. Where I live is nowhere near an airfield or flightpath, therefore there is something else triggering it. It it's a passing police car or mobile speed camera detection equipment, then there is no reason why my wifi needs to be downgraded to accomodate that, especially since they are at best passing my home for a few seconds. 

I can't think of anything else that could be triggering this where I live. I live in the middle of a new build estate. There is no flightpath or airfield nearby, nor police station, fire station, or hospital, nor any manufacturing industrial estates. Maybe a builder with a radio? Passing police car or ambulance? Who knows? In any event, this downgrading of the wifi is seriously affecting my use of the product for no benefit.

If it has to be a feature, TP-Link really need to let us have a toggle in a firmware update to turn it off.

Options
2023-08-11 19:36:16

What's the advantage of using the 160mhz channels vs the 80mhz channels? Do you get a speed increase with 160mhz?

Options
2023-08-16 15:03:18

This is now extremely annoying. Can TP Link please respond as to why there isn't an option to turn this off at least? This is driving me insane having to constantly reset my wifi back to 160mhz when I am nowhere near anything that could generate radar signals.

Options