Deco PX50 not using Powerline backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco PX50 not using Powerline backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
111 Reply
Re:Deco PX50 not using Powerline backhaul
2023-07-19 10:32:11 - last edited 2023-07-19 10:32:44

@ommoti 

Thanks for the update.

I also kept checking the status of this issue with engineers all the time. So far, a new firmware hasn't been ready yet. If it is, I am sure it will be updated here at the earliest time.

Thank you a lot for your cooperation so far.

@Chuckoir , Hi, welcome to the community. you do point out something newcool. On the other hand, I also got an email update from another user that 1.0.3 helped his PX50 restore the powerline connection. It might be helpful to know that 1.0.3 firmware could be downgraded back to 1.0.0 directly via web UI. So before waiting for the update from engineers, you could consider rolling back to the 1.0.0 firmware.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/deco-px50/v1/#Firmware

Thank you very much.

best regards.

Options
2023-07-20 17:53:32 - last edited 2023-07-22 12:01:12

Is there any solution to this other than running ethernet? Mine is using wifi backhaul and this defeats the purpose of why I purchased the things and I'm considering returning the product to Amazon if not resolved. I've tried a combination of different house circuits and even plugging into the same extension cord.

I'd like to be able to manually select the backhaul without the units deciding on my behalf, wifi is too congested around here for wifi backhaul.

Edit: Tried both firmwares but still shows as wifi backhaul in the app.

Options
2023-07-21 08:11:30

@Alexmesh Good morning Alex,

I'm not sure anyone has been able to get it working. The closest I think I can prove powerline is doing something is that my sky mini box is connected to the deco bedroom unit by Ethernet but is showing as being plugged in on the Main unit in the lounge. 
That isn't working for the backhaul though as the bedroom wifi backhaul connection is one bar so pretty low. 
 On the support call with TP Link this week the engineer used Putty to check the Deco system and see what was going on. 
 They couldn't get the powerline to initiate so eventually said to request a replacement from Amazon. 
 I've placed a return request into Amazon but a little hesitant as I still feel it's a firmware issue rather than a hardware issue. 
That and there really isn't anything else WiFi 6 that has the same features for a price I'm willing to pay. 

Options
2023-07-21 09:06:58

@ommoti 

I also bought this during the Amazon Prime Day sale - sounds like a number of us are UK-based, I wonder if this is a "bad" batch? However I do agree that it is likely a firmware issue and ordering a replacement from Amazon will not solve it - let us know how it goes!

I'm still waiting for my support call which they requested to have a couple of days ago but I couldn't join and since then it's gone quiet.

Options
2023-07-21 09:10:04 - last edited 2023-07-21 09:19:12

@ommoti That's very disconcerting, it should be their top priority to force powerline to run on these things via firmware or replacement. I'm in the same boat in that it looked like the perfect solution but if one of the main selling points doesn't work then it's a bit useless.

I had all three of them connected via the same powerstrip as a test and they still only connected via wifi in the app.

There should be an option I feel in the app to force the powerline stuff to do all the work, I don't want to use wifi back haul as its very congested around here with interference which means it's not a reliable option. I can optimize wifi channels as much as I want but give it an hour and things have changed in the area once again, I can't run ethernet everywhere either which is why I wanted powerline.

I hope TP link are reading this as it's causing stress I have to admit.

I'm also in the UK and purchased on Amazon a few days back. 

Options
2023-07-21 09:32:46

I agree the lack of PLC capability effectively turns it into an X50 which I was also looking at. The PLC would be useful for me but not essential and it was only £20 more at currys.

However I wonder whether the UK reviews actually tested it in a real world scenario as I purchased it after reading a few of those, now I'm questioning their validility.

I havent tried any other G.hn products, I only have AV2 devices, so don't know if it's a G.hn compatibility issuevin my house, but I doubt it.

Also the tech support operates on Hong Kong time (GMT +8) which is not the most useful for me.

All in all a bit disappointing from TP link, but I'm willing to wait it out

Options
2023-07-22 11:14:47 - last edited 2023-07-22 11:16:22

@David-TP 

I just bought the 3-pack PX50, and having the same issue that there is no way to get the decos to communicate via Powerline, I have tried all the suggested solutions to no avail.

i have AV2 plugs and they worked like a charm (I have disconnected them when using the PX50 because I know that they can interfere).

If there is no fix for this, I will be returning the PX50 since Powerline is kind of the whole point why I bought them in the first place, and I need to make my decision quick before my return window is gone.

it's really ridiculous, I have connected the 2nd deco in the basement where the wifi signal from the main deco does not reach, and it still went on wireless backhaul which means no wifi obviously (I also tried connecting one right next to the other as suggested and still no Powerline backhaul).

I am also based in the UK and bought from Amazon. This is very disappointing!

Options
2023-07-22 11:35:44

@GeorgesDib 

GeorgesDib wrote

@David-TP 

I need to make my decision quick before my return window is gone.

This is what I'm currently mulling over, should I await a fix or just send them back now. I want to like the PX50 but unless they can provide known working replacements or a firmware fix before the window is up then I'm a bit stuck.

Options
2023-07-22 13:37:18

@Alexmesh 

given the lack of product support, and the clearly defective product, I am returning it.

Options
2023-07-25 06:46:27

@Alexmesh @ommoti 

Have you made any progress with your PX50s? I didn't realise there were a number of other threads that were discussing the same issues we have been having with the PLC backhaul not working at all.

This morning I've had TP-link support and their R&D team on Teamviewer on a laptop since 6:45am using putty to figure out what's going on. We're an hour in and they're still going, mainly looking at various configurations and settings.

Will let you know if there's any breakthrough!

Options