C420 Motion detection is on but no recordings made

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-20 08:30:35 - last edited 2023-06-26 18:25:37

***** Update *****
I have left my original post below intact, but provided amended info in post 2 below, please also read that.

***** Update******

My C420 is no longer recording on the micro-SD card in the hub. The camera gives a live feed, and detects motion and sends alerts, but I have just realised there are no recordings for the last couple of months. 

I have just stood in front of the camera, watched myself on the app, received the detection alert on my phone, but there is no recording. 

I have checked the settings, and the schedule for the 'faulty' camera shows detection is on 24x7. 

In Playback, the calendar shows a few dates in black (which I think is no recordings) but most in blue (which I think means there should be recordings). But the are no recordings on any date and I can't now find and recordings going back to when the camera was installed in January, and I know some were there. 

The other camera is recording fine. There is 50% free capacity on the SD card, and looping is enabled. The settings for both cameras appear to be identical. The indicator shows about 35% of the card is used for recordings for the 'faulty' camera. 

I feel that I'm missing something obvious but I can't think what. 

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

***** Update *****
see update below. It seems it is a playback issue not a recording issue. 

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:C420 Motion detection is on but no recordings made-Solution
2023-06-26 18:25:05 - last edited 2023-06-26 18:25:37

@Solla-topee 

Having provided the information requested, Yurik from support provided a new release of the firmware for the H200 Hub, which I download and I can confirm that it resolved the problem. 

Thank you to the Tapo team for quickly picking up on my report of the problem, the good communication and the speedy resolution. It would be great if all tech companies were as quick to engage directly with customers and find a solution. Thank you all. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-07-19 19:41:25 - last edited 2023-07-21 09:19:25

@dmatpdx 

Hi

For the problem where the recordings were being made on the hub, but the app couldn't see them or play them, TP-Link created a fix which they put in a beta release for the Hub that was only released to my specific Hub using it's MAC address.  I received it automatically on release as I have auto-updates switched on. I haven't been told when it is being included in a general release, but if you put auto-updates on, you will get it as soon as it is out. 

See this thread: 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/614598?

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:C420 Motion detection is on but no recordings made
2023-06-20 14:55:31

@RayM56 
I can update my own query above. 

i have taken the Micro-SD card out of the Hub and viewed the files on my PC. All the expected recordings are present. I have put the card back in the Hub and rebooted it. The recordings for one camera are visible and playable on my iPhone, but none of the files for the other camera are visible/playable, although there are files for every day for the last 3 months. I also tried the Tapo app on my wife's iPad. It's the same. The files for one camera are visible, but the other camera shows no recordings. 

The odd thing is that the calendar shows the dates in blue, so it knows there are recordings for those days but is unable to show them. This is a relatively recent phenomena as about a month ago I was able to access a recording for the camera in question to taken a phone screen shot of a delivery driver leaving a package. 

So in a nutshell both cameras are recording ok but the Tapo app or the Hub has a software fault making it unable to create thumbnails and play the recordings for the other camera. 

Options
2023-06-21 07:51:05

@RayM56 

Hi, 
About the problem you report, please help confirm the following information for further analysis.
1. Please ensure the Tapo Camera, hub, and the Tapo app are up to date.
2. Please help check the model number, capacity, and format of the SD card.
3. Click on the Hub on the Tapo app, go to the Device Settings page of the hub, and turn on the Diagnostics. Then reproduce your problem, and then go to Tapo app>Me>Help&Feedback>Hubs>Feedback>choose your hub>type Forum ID 612522 and simply describe your problem, check the Add System Logs>tap Send Feedback to send us the logs for further analysis.

We have reported the issue to the support engineers, and they will likely reach out to you via email to continue troubleshooting your issue. Please check your email box and confirm.

Best Regards

Options
2023-06-26 18:25:05 - last edited 2023-06-26 18:25:37

@Solla-topee 

Having provided the information requested, Yurik from support provided a new release of the firmware for the H200 Hub, which I download and I can confirm that it resolved the problem. 

Thank you to the Tapo team for quickly picking up on my report of the problem, the good communication and the speedy resolution. It would be great if all tech companies were as quick to engage directly with customers and find a solution. Thank you all. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-06-27 09:35:28

@RayM56 

Hi,
Glad to hear that the problem is solved~
Best Regards

Options
2023-07-09 23:31:24
I need to report that the problem has retutned, but as the thread title is misleading I shall start a new one titled “Tapo app is unable to play recordings on the Hub”.
Options
2023-07-19 18:07:30
do you have a link to the new firmware?
Options
2023-07-19 19:41:25 - last edited 2023-07-21 09:19:25

@dmatpdx 

Hi

For the problem where the recordings were being made on the hub, but the app couldn't see them or play them, TP-Link created a fix which they put in a beta release for the Hub that was only released to my specific Hub using it's MAC address.  I received it automatically on release as I have auto-updates switched on. I haven't been told when it is being included in a general release, but if you put auto-updates on, you will get it as soon as it is out. 

See this thread: 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/614598?

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 643

Replies: 7

Related Articles