Deco X55 has just rest back to factory settings

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-07 00:06:56
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.7 Build 20230620 Rel. 31797

Our Deco X55 network has been working perfectly for the last 6 months.

But last night it has reset back to factory settings.

EVERYTHING has defaulted back to factory settings.

(It had not done an update, nor was it scheduled to restart, and it's plugged in to a Surge Protected UPS)

To troubleshoot, i have since done a firmware update, and restarted it, but it's still at the factory default settings.

(We have about 50+ network devices, all configured up with access and parental control settings)

I note on the bottom of the unit the Default - SSID is: Deco_6E34

but overnight it has changed to - SSID: TP-LINK (Password: 12345678)

I am REALLY NOT looking forward to having to configure it all back up again! 😫

I have multiple profiles configured, for each member of Family, Extended Family, Home Automation(Smart plugs etc), Home Entertainment(ie GoogleTV, XBox etc etc, plus All the Parental Controls for each child, visitor etc)

It seems that the settings are not backed up anywhere?? What the Heck?? - FEATURE REQUEST: Ability to Backup ALL Settings

Why would this reset happen??

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco X55 has just rest back to factory settings
2023-08-07 02:15:25

@Deco-X55 Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

The default SSID of Deco is printed on the label and is open without a password. 

SSID: TP-LINK (Password: 12345678) does not sound like the default Wi-Fi settings of Deco and is pretty much like a customized SSID.

How to change the Wireless Settings on Deco

Did you find this SSID+password showing up on the Deco APP?

And When Deco is in the factory setting mode, its LED should also be flashing blue.

Wait for your reply.

best regards.

Options
2023-08-07 05:12:18

@David-TP Thanks for your reply.

Aah yes, i do recall it being an open network when i first set it up..

Yes i did find that that SSID+Password showing up for both 2.4G & 5G networks in my Deco App.
I checked this morning and noted that the LED was green(Maybe tinge of yellowish.. but that could have been my bleary morning eyes)

After updating the firmware and rebooting it was green, and remains green.

I've tried to set the same SSID and password that i set up after i purchased the Deco X55, but it's now not accepting the password i configured (I used spaces. and the app is telling me that i cannot use spaces)

Thanks

Options
2023-08-07 11:57:12

@Deco-X55 

Hi, Thank you very much for the update.

The latest Deco APP upgrade has added the limitation of using space as the wireless password since based on the previous troubleshooting records, many smart home devices don't support blank space and many users accidentally add blank space at the end of the Wi-Fi password which is very easily being ignored.

Best regards.

Options
2023-08-07 20:54:04 - last edited 2023-08-08 14:11:32

Thanks @David-TP 

The spaces in the password are my new problem (otherwise I could just set the same SSID and password as before & ALL my devices would connect back fine…)

but now I will have to reconfigure every single device I have, just to remove the spaces from the password😫 (this also means reconfiguring many automated routines within various apps etc..

Is there a way I could please get the old app to set up my old SSID and password with spaces please? 🙏 Then I can not have to reset every single device I have (I have a lot of IoT devices as well)

I have Android, so could side load

The actual problem is why would my Deci x55 have totally reset overnight??

Every setting has been restored to factory (parental controls, SSID, password, Routing, Static Reservations etc)

As I was looking at every setting in the app, I did notice when I went into the reboot schedule it momentarily showed my previous schedule before updating and then turning it off…

Also interestingly whilst the SSID has been reset to TP-LINK, it is not actually visible (even though it’s not set to hide SSID)

Are there log files anywhere?

Can you guys see logs in your end?

Any help greatly appreciated during this frustrating time

Thank You

Options
2023-08-11 09:53:33 - last edited 2023-08-11 09:54:24

@Deco-X55 

Hi, Sorry for the delay, and Thanks a lot for your time and patience.

If you are using Android APPs, it would be good news and you could download the APK file of the old versions here:

https://apkpure.com/tp-link-deco/com.tplink.tpm5/versions (the versions before 3.4.25)

As for why the wireless settings have been reset, actually, I don't think it has been reset since you mentioned the new SSID is TP-link with password 12345678. It is quite like someone else changed the wireless settings. 

There are system logs on the web UI but they might be erased if you have already performed a power cycle or reset

But you also refer to this link to submit the APP log so that we could check whether there are any useful logs left.

How to submit Deco APP log

Since It just happened once and you also manually reset it and the default SSID is not TP-Link actually, It is not hard to explain what exactly happened. So I wish you could help us monitor the Deco for a while after installing the old APPs. If it is indeed something with the hardware or software, it might start again and this time, you could save as much as logs and pictures as possible for records.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-08-11 13:41:55

@David-TP Thank You!

I have downloaded a prior version of the apk, and have set up the existing SSID i had, as well as the existing password (Containing spaces) - That worked like a charm!!!

All of my devices are instantly back on the network (Although i do have to fully reconfigure the app with Address resevations, static routes, device & user profiles, Parental controls etc etc..)

Yes as youv'e mentioned, being that i have now factory reset the device, i could not find any logs past the time that i did the factory reset, when i browserd to the IP of the unit in my webbrowser.

I have just submitted an email support and included the system logs as youv'e mentioned. (I also took screenshots of my original forum post, and your last reply, to give them context of why i am sending the system logs through.

It is very weird that it reset to TP-Link (password: 12345678) It seems very generic - Also No-one else in my family would be able to do that! (My kids are far too young haha, and my wife wouldnt know what to do and would have told me.

Based on the google routines that failed to run, and various other home automation logs i've gathered from various devices, i've narrowed the down the timeframe that the Deco Reset occured. somewhere between 4:30am-6am. Whilst we were sleeping...

Yes, now that i know where and how to gather the logs from the app and Deco unit, i will be sure to save them all!

Thanks very much for your assistance!

Options
2023-08-14 01:26:12

@Deco-X55 

Thanks for the update. I also received your App logs. Will update here once the engineers found something suspicious.cool

Best regards.

Options