How to use local vs WI-FI

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-23 22:01:19 - last edited 2023-09-27 09:33:48

I have been told that I can monitor the Tapo locally without being connected to the WI-FI link. Currently, I am connected to the link, but I see no option to use it locally on the app. How is this done exactly?  Also, one thing I have noticed is that my Tapo app is connected to one WI-FI (Smart Bro) and my phone is connected to another WI-FI (Globe). I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How to use local vs WI-FI-Solution
2023-09-26 09:18:26 - last edited 2023-09-27 09:33:48

@illyriad 

Hi, 
If your phone is connected to Wi-Fi(Globe), but the Tapo app shows the camera is connected to Wi-Fi(Smart Bro), you are streaming the camera remotely. You can connect your phone to the Wi-Fi(Smart Bro) and check if you can stream the camera continuously.

If they are connected to the same Wi-Fi already, but you still see the Continue prompt when streaming the camera on your phone:
1. Try to disable cellular data on the phone.
2. Ensure there is no special setting on your host routers, try to turn off AP isolation and lower the firewall level on the host router that blocked the local communication between the camera and your phone.
3. Allow 'Local Network' permission for the Tapo app if you have an iPhone.
4. Reboot the camera for a try.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:How to use local vs WI-FI
2023-09-25 08:10:28

@illyriad 

Hi,
If you want to watch the Tapo Camera locally via the Tapo app, your phone(with the Tapo app installed) and the Tapo camera should connect to the same Wi-Fi network. If your phone and the Tapo camera connect to different Wi-Fi networks, you can only watch the camera remotely via the Tapo app.

Your problem description is unclear. Please describe your usage scenario in detail and send me the model number of your Tapo camera, and I'll check if the Tapo camera can meet your requirements.

Best Regards

Options
2023-09-25 22:52:45

@illyriad Hi Solla, I took your advice and put the camera and phone on the same WI-FI. So far I have not gotten that error. My stats on the Tapo is C3320WS EU Ver 2.0 s/n 2235072001944 p/n 1770500084

Thanks so much for your help and have a good day.

Options
Re:How to use local vs WI-FI-Solution
2023-09-26 09:18:26 - last edited 2023-09-27 09:33:48

@illyriad 

Hi, 
If your phone is connected to Wi-Fi(Globe), but the Tapo app shows the camera is connected to Wi-Fi(Smart Bro), you are streaming the camera remotely. You can connect your phone to the Wi-Fi(Smart Bro) and check if you can stream the camera continuously.

If they are connected to the same Wi-Fi already, but you still see the Continue prompt when streaming the camera on your phone:
1. Try to disable cellular data on the phone.
2. Ensure there is no special setting on your host routers, try to turn off AP isolation and lower the firewall level on the host router that blocked the local communication between the camera and your phone.
3. Allow 'Local Network' permission for the Tapo app if you have an iPhone.
4. Reboot the camera for a try.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-09-26 22:11:11
I have made that correction and put the phone and the camera on the same WI-FI and that has solved the problem. Thank you for the information.
Options
2023-09-27 09:33:22

@illyriad You are welcome~ :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 390

Replies: 5

Related Articles