Inconsistent WiFi performance, drops

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-10 01:37:29 - last edited 2023-10-12 10:07:35
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20230327 Rel. 54700

I have recently purchased 3xXE75 to improve the performance of my WiFi.  I have an OPNSense Router/FW with DHCP for my home network and so I placed this system into Access Point mode.  It replaced my old Google Nest mesh system and I used the same SSID & Password so that devices would connect automatically.  I have about 50 WiFi devices including my Samsung S22, various IoT devices and Nest IP Cameras and Google Nest Screens throughout the house on wifi plus I have a small "homelab" of servers and desktops which are all hard-wired to my switch (GSS116E)

I have placed the main router centrally upstairs and wired it into my switch.  I have also hard wired the other two devices, one of which is on the main floor in my Office near the front of the house and one that is in the basement near the back of the house.  My Deco App shows strong wifi connections with my devices and shows the hard wired backhaul and "everything looks good"

I have disabled Smart DHCP, enabled Fast Roaming and Beamforming and again, Operation Mode is Access Point.

I can join the wifi on all devices and everything works well except randomly devices will go off line for several minutes and then reconnect.  In the case of my phone, I can still see a strong wifi connection but there is no internet and no network connection.  If I disconnect wifi by turning it off and then immediately turn it back on, it works fine.  I frequently have problems when I move from the front of the house to the rear of the house but other devices which are stationary also suffer from this problem about once per day.  If I open Deco app while in this state, it will not start up so it is not just internet but local connections.  If I use another device to check, it shows "everything is okay".

In call cases, the solution is to disconnect and reconnect.  I do not have these problems with my homelab which is all wired, nor my desktop which is also hard wired.

I do not live in a particularly congested area being a quiet residential street.  I have run "network optimisation" and it claims to do things but nothing happens. 

When these problems do not occur, wifi performance is satisfactory.  I have owned these devices for about two weeks now and the nodes have not been physically relocated since setting them up.  I have cleared the log files momements ago, so the next time this event occurs I plan to check to see if there are any log entries.

Any suggestions?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Inconsistent WiFi performance, drops
2023-10-11 02:47:59

@knaak 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Have you tried to update the firmware to the latest 1.2.1 Build 20230601 Rel. 58453?

I used to see the feedback that Samsung phones had bad compatibility with the Mesh Technology. It is suggested to turn off its "Mesh Technology" on the Deco APP.

By the way, the latest 1.2.1 firmware supports the IOT network, you could also enable IOT and move part of the smart devices to connect to the IOT network to see whether it helps improve the stability.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2023-10-14 12:39:00

Thank you for your reply.  Following your instructions I have updated the devices to the firmware that you've provided but I left Mesh on (without Mesh, regardless of whether its Samsung's fault or not, I don't have a use for your product since I bought it above simple AP because of the hand-offs).  I have noticed a notable improvement as a result with greater consistency of connection so far.

Options
2023-10-15 00:39:13 - last edited 2023-10-15 00:39:38

@knaak I have noticed the random WiFi interruptions with the latest firmware too.

I didn't use the original firmware long enough to know if there is any improvement from the older firmware.

Options
2023-10-16 19:18:11

Unfortunately, the problem continues to happen. Randomly various devices will drop wifi, and then 30 seconds or so later they will reconnect.  Its not just my phone, and it also impacts stationary devices like chromecasts.  Could it be faulty hardware somehow?

I have removed ipv6 from my LAN in hopes its related somehow, i may return these devices, i will decide tomorrow because my return window is closing.

Options
2023-10-17 18:02:28

Unfortunately, no luck.  Randomly throughout the day my devices would suddenly lose *internet* connectivity (i've realized that wifi stayed connected) and if you disconnected and reconnected then it would work fine.  Deco app always reported no problems. 

While some devices showed "no internet" other wifi devices continued to work without issue.  It impacted my phones, my wife's surface, the chromecasts, the google cameras, pretty much everything so it doesn't seem to be hardware related.  my hard wired connections are monitored by UptimeKuma so I know they are always up, so it isn't internal internet issues or connectivity by internet provider.

I have restored my google nest mesh network and it works fine although at slower wifi 5.

I don't know if these units were defective or not but regardless I have decided to return them.

Tim

Options