Is there a way to use a smart plug to control a dc circuit?

2023-11-02 20:02:06 - last edited 2023-12-01 03:53:34

Hi,

Ive got a solar/mains powered exhaust fan in my Atrium that I would love to control with a Tapo Smart Plug but I cant find a way to put a switch in there that the plug can control.

I have the same problem trying to control a three phase evaporative cooler. There are the wires for the thermostat but I dont know what switch to use that can be controlled by the smart plug.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Is there a way to use a smart plug to control a dc circuit?-Solution
2023-11-07 09:04:30 - last edited 2023-12-01 03:53:34

@Phil-S 

From my point of view, this is not directly related to the smart plug. If your device can be powered by regular AC power, it should work fine when plugged into a smart plug (within the rated power range). If you need to modify your DC device to operate on AC power, I recommend seeking assistance from a professional electrician.

However, whether modifying the device or using a smart plug, these actions are not in line with the normal usage of the product, may affect product warranties, and more importantly, could pose safety risks, so please proceed with caution.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Is there a way to use a smart plug to control a dc circuit?
2023-11-03 07:15:38

@Phil-S  Do you mean the fan or the cooler can't plug into a smart plug's socket since they have only wires? If so, I think the smart plug can't control these devices.

Options
Re:Is there a way to use a smart plug to control a dc circuit?-Solution
2023-11-07 09:04:30 - last edited 2023-12-01 03:53:34

@Phil-S 

From my point of view, this is not directly related to the smart plug. If your device can be powered by regular AC power, it should work fine when plugged into a smart plug (within the rated power range). If you need to modify your DC device to operate on AC power, I recommend seeking assistance from a professional electrician.

However, whether modifying the device or using a smart plug, these actions are not in line with the normal usage of the product, may affect product warranties, and more importantly, could pose safety risks, so please proceed with caution.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 215

Replies: 2

Related Articles