New computer, got lan connection, but no interent.

2023-11-13 10:35:54 - last edited 2023-11-20 06:35:55
Model: Archer C5400X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.6 Build 20231010 rel.31905(4555)

Bought a new PC, Z790 Asrock motherboard, realtek 2.5GbE Family Adapter

The router is fine, working on both wifi and lan, my other pc I've unplugged had zero lan issues with the same port same cable.

This Ethernet adapter however got lan connection but no internet connection.

Peculiar thing is that there is a wifi adapter on the board and sure, thats working however I would really like to use wifi only to last resort, I prefer the lan connection on my pc.

I need some expert help how to troubleshoot this issue with the card/windows driver/router side.

Tried to reset dns, change from dhcp to fix ip (this helped to get the lan port working and I can see there are packet flow from the router and back and I can see I got ipv6 and ipv4 address as well from the router). Plugged in the cable to different slot, but of course thats not the issue, it was working before too.

I had a strange feeling though when I was looking at the windows network settings that the ethernet says, its connected but no internet it states my 5ghz wifi connection's name on the ethernet details window. Maybe that doesn't mean anything but I have a feeling that somehow its some routing issue with the card I don't know.

Anyways, help required for sure, scratching my head with this.

Regards,

Peter

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:New computer, got lan connection, but no interent.-Solution
2023-11-18 20:07:31 - last edited 2023-11-20 06:35:55

@Sunshine Hi,

Thanks for all the help, I've managed to fix it not sure how it is different than what I've done before. It doesn't work via dhcp. I -again- disabled wifi card, reset network settings  on lan card, restart windows. Then it didn't work again some very silly ip address via dhcp, completely idiot ip address. So I set a fix ip to lan card also made the ip reserved on router, and now it works. Don't ask me how, I did everything like before. I didn't reset my router after all because I don't know the current ISP's router password and Im just too lazy to call the support for reset honestly.

Thanks all your help now I'm happy that lan works.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:New computer, got lan connection, but no interent.
2023-11-14 03:12:39

@H0PE 

Hi, please change the new computer IP address back to DHCP instead of fix IP address, then connect the same computer to your ISP modem or Ethernet port on the wall without the router to see if internet works fine this way.

In addition, when connected to TP-Link router, please check if it obtains IP address from the router automatically, if so, try to ping the LAN IP address of the router and also public IPs like 8.8.8.8, if pinging IP addresses work, please also try pinging google.com etc.

Options
2023-11-15 07:58:02

@Sunshine Thanks when I got a little time during the weekend I'll try this. If it works, then... not sure to be honest, it can be still because of the lan adapter or the router itself, no?

Options
2023-11-15 10:32:47

@H0PE 

If the computer itself works fine, cable is also okay, while the router also works with other PC, it might be some unknown incompatibility issue between the new computer and the router, but not very sure at this moment.

Please let us know after you test the new computer with your ISP modem/ethernet port on the wall.

Options
Re:New computer, got lan connection, but no interent.-Solution
2023-11-18 20:07:31 - last edited 2023-11-20 06:35:55

@Sunshine Hi,

Thanks for all the help, I've managed to fix it not sure how it is different than what I've done before. It doesn't work via dhcp. I -again- disabled wifi card, reset network settings  on lan card, restart windows. Then it didn't work again some very silly ip address via dhcp, completely idiot ip address. So I set a fix ip to lan card also made the ip reserved on router, and now it works. Don't ask me how, I did everything like before. I didn't reset my router after all because I don't know the current ISP's router password and Im just too lazy to call the support for reset honestly.

Thanks all your help now I'm happy that lan works.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-11-20 06:36:23

@H0PE 

Thanks a lot for the update, glad to hear that you've resolved the problem finally.

Hope you could enjoy the internet.

Options