Deco XE200 exclusively using 80Mhz (not switching from 160 constantly limited to 80mhz)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco XE200 exclusively using 80Mhz (not switching from 160 constantly limited to 80mhz)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-15 21:28:29
Model: Deco XE200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.4

after setting up Deco XE 200 in access point mode, with two units that are using ethernet backhaul.  I am experiencing much lower speed than those seen in reviews, and using Wifi Analyzer I realized that my two units are using 80Mhz 160mhz as expected, all of the time, on the 5 MHz band, using Wi-Fi device to configure. Since I don't own Wi-Fi 6e client devices, I cannot connect to the 6 GHz network to check if it's going on there as well. 

Performing optimization it always chooses channel 44. I have read about temporary "down downgrade" due to radar signal to 80 MHz. however there are no interfering radar signals, and even after several installs from scratch, it is constantly on 80mhz, no warning that it is reverting to limited broadcast bandwidth and no ability to control either channels or this limited transmission and very limited speeds.

I'm using the most up-to-date firmware and I'm wondering if this is an issue with the firmware or the units themselves. 

Other discussions mention warnings and temporary switch to 80 MHz for similar units such as X 75, but I did not see any mention on the newer and improved xe200. ultimately the result is almost identical to other very old 5 GHz Wi-Fi access point mesh systems I own such as an old Netgear orbi rbk50, a far cry from what is expected from this high-end expensive product. 

I opened the case, the response I got was that I need to configure the app to force using 160mhz under Wi-Fi settings, except there is no settings and the only control from the app is whether to force a device to 5 GHz or to allow it to use both 2.4 and five nothing else.

I would appreciate feedback from other users who experience the issue and tp link on how to resolve it with features that do exist in the app. Thank you in advance

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco XE200 exclusively using 80Mhz (not switching from 160 constantly limited to 80mhz)
2023-12-19 12:02:44

@candybars 

Hi, welcome to the community.

On the Deco APP, It does not support forcing 5Ghz on 160mhz only. There should be an option to enable 160mhz for 5Ghz under Wi-Fi settings>2.4GHz and 5GHz network>Advanced.

May I know how much speed you could get from Deco XE200?(please try to test the 5GHz wireless speed from the main XE200.)

Please also help me check the wireless link speed on the tested client:How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client

And how much bandwidth you have subscribed from the ISP? 

Maybe it is not related to 160mhz since it benefits only when both router and mobile clients support 160mhz.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:Deco XE200 exclusively using 80Mhz (not switching from 160 constantly limited to 80mhz)
2023-12-20 01:59:26

Caption

David-TP wrote

@candybars 

Hi, welcome to the community.

On the Deco APP, It does not support forcing 5Ghz on 160mhz only. There should be an option to enable 160mhz for 5Ghz under Wi-Fi settings>2.4GHz and 5GHz network>Advanced.

May I know how much speed you could get from Deco XE200?(please try to test the 5GHz wireless speed from the main XE200.)

Please also help me check the wireless link speed on the tested client:How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client

And how much bandwidth you have subscribed from the ISP? 

Maybe it is not related to 160mhz since it benefits only when both router and mobile clients support 160mhz.

Thank you very much and best regards.

@David-TP 

Thank you.

1. Regarding your first point, you indicate that "There should be an option to enable 160mhz for 5Ghz under Wi-Fi settings>2.4GHz and 5GHz network>Advanced". However, that is not the case, and the only option under advanced, is to either use both 2.4ghz and 5ghz combined or exclusively the 5ghz, with no mention of the 160mhz or any other such bandwidth control. Since I've had this troubleshoot step offered in the case i opened (which is so far not progressing with back and forth emails), I suggest you check yourselves, and see if there isn't a bug or uninteded change on the app, preventing this. With no indication on either the app or direct web UI (the deco IP), and with the most recent firmware installed (1.2.5 build 2021131120 Rel. 63583), perhaps it is worth checking the discrepency with what you deem as part of the app UI and the actual. I am attaching screen shots from the app, incicating no such option exists in the advnaced. 

2. The actual speeds i am getting from the main unit (as well as the second backhauled) with devices right next to the unit, range from 200-600 mbps (at zero range depending on device), including 802.11AX wifi 6 devices 802.11AX- iphone 12 pro max802.11AX, iphone 14 Pro max 802.11AX, and even macbook pro 2021 which supports the very latest 5ghz 160mhz bandwidh, apple TV 4k, and from 802.11AC macbook pro late 2017, mini pc with 802.11ac Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter ALL CONNECTED AS SINGLE DEVICE. All on the 5GHZ band. 

Additionally, when connecting with ethernet cable directly to the Deco unit, i get consistent 940mbps download speed. 

3. For the link you provided, I get 1300 link speed (actual max speed 600mbps) on mac, actual speed, with mini pc receive transmit 866/433 actual speed only 200mgps) both right next to the device, and connected as single device at a time.

4. As can be inferred from my wired device speed test, my ISP fiber connection is 1gpbs. 

To summarize, the option to monitor or force 160mhz on the app do not exist. other posts that indicate x75 sometimes reverts to 80 and notifies that temporarily when radar interferance is detected (as I have read on another post here) is not something that exists on the XE200, and I wonder what that expected behavior is (since I dont get notifications and constant 80mhz and low speeds, and since the app does not support, what is the expected behavior in this higher end model?

I attaching the screen shots and also this review that even on devices limited to 802.11AC are reaching 1600mbps, which is what made me opt for this product. I was also wondering why, unlike netgear access points, it is always sticking to channel 44 (free in my case but still..) and not using the 148+ channels, or is that a bug and would be expected to use those as well. Since i can not post an actual link, search for "dongknows deco xe200 review" will provide this as the first google result. 

Thanks a lot and i look forward to resolving this with your help. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 968

Replies: 2

Related Articles