Powerline weak signal

Powerline weak signal

Powerline weak signal
Powerline weak signal
2023-12-18 07:45:40 - last edited 2023-12-19 11:17:15
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.10 Build 20230911 Rel. 39844

I have 3 x Deco P7. overall the mesh works well but with challenges sometime. my setup is fairly simple, I live in 3 floors house and I have my 3 pieces Deco each in a floor, the main one is connected via ethernet cable to my DSL modem in router mode.

The signal strength shows as weak even if PLC connection is established, my understanding that as long as the devices are able to communicate over powerline, so the signal strength should be shown as good. What can I do to improve the signal strength if PLC is already established ?

Sometime is more challenging as PLC connection between two of the Deco is lost and it is usually restored when I reboot the network (all Decos). I understand the best practice is to connect the Deco directly to wall socket with no power extension, are there any other recommendations ?

One last question, I am not sure if I understand TP Link recommendations properly, can I buy a new Deco on WiFi 6/7 and add it to the mesh I have ? I understand the powerline won't work with the new piece but will it work at all with existing WiFi devices?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Powerline weak signal-Solution
2023-12-19 07:36:18 - last edited 2023-12-19 11:17:15

@samo21 

Hi, welcome to the community.

If you plan to add a new Deco WiFi 6/7, I think you might also want to set it as the main Deco but there is a problem that the powerline backhaul only works when P7 is the main Deco. So if Deco Wi-Fi 6/7 is the main Deco, the new Deco system will use Wireless Backhaul unless they are connected via Ethernet cables.

As for to improve the powerline quality, it is also suggested to keep P7 away from large power home appliances, like Washing Machine and Microware oven.(There are also some other small tips for Powerline Backhaul Quality) If you are able to connect satellite P7 via an Ethernet cable to other P7, the signal strength will be greatly improved.

General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Thank you very much and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Powerline weak signal-Solution
2023-12-19 07:36:18 - last edited 2023-12-19 11:17:15

@samo21 

Hi, welcome to the community.

If you plan to add a new Deco WiFi 6/7, I think you might also want to set it as the main Deco but there is a problem that the powerline backhaul only works when P7 is the main Deco. So if Deco Wi-Fi 6/7 is the main Deco, the new Deco system will use Wireless Backhaul unless they are connected via Ethernet cables.

As for to improve the powerline quality, it is also suggested to keep P7 away from large power home appliances, like Washing Machine and Microware oven.(There are also some other small tips for Powerline Backhaul Quality) If you are able to connect satellite P7 via an Ethernet cable to other P7, the signal strength will be greatly improved.

General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Thank you very much and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 173

Replies: 1

Related Articles