PS5 won't connect to internet on 5GHz but will 2.4GHz

2024-01-12 22:00:36
Model: Archer VR2100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.6.0 0.9.1

A couple of days ago my network connection became really laggy gaming on PS5 with packet loss and high lag. I swapped from 2.4GHz to 5GHz and that solved it. Yesterday the PS5 defaulted to 2.4GHz and wouldn't connect to 5GHz until I rebooted everything. Today, I can connect to 5 GHz but it won't connect to the internet, but I can connect to 2.4 GHz fine, only with awful Wifi issues.

I don't use smart connect. My PS5 has a fixed IP address and approporiate port forwarding. Nothing has changed on my end between it working and not.

The PS5 uselessly reports:

“Can't connect to the internet. Your internet service provider or your router might be preventing your PS5 from connecting to the internet. Make sure you can connect to the internet via the same network as your PS5 by testing the connection using your computer or mobile device”

Options
3 Reply
Re:PS5 won't connect to internet on 5GHz but will 2.4GHz
2024-01-14 13:54:46

@ShiftyGeezer 

Have you tried to change your Internet connection DNS servers and test what PS5 would report for internet access:

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-01-14 14:05:24
I've seen that mentioned in Reddit. However, how could that affect 5 GHz but not 2.4 GHz? Furthermore, after a spell the PS5 did connect to 5 GHz, but only getting 490 kbps bandwidth.Swapping to 2.4 Ghz provided the full 35 gbps. As of yesterday, 5 GHz connection was problem free but I swapped to Ethernet now. I don't know whether the wireless fault is with TP-Link or Sony but I'm very unhappy about this nonsense situation.
Options
2024-01-14 14:14:59

@ShiftyGeezer 

It's hard to tell if that's a VR2100 wireless radio issue or PS5s, but wired connection will give you the best bandwidth and stability for sure.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2281

Replies: 3

Related Articles