Finding ethernet connected devices

2024-01-15 09:23:54
Model: Deco X50-5G  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I just replaced my old cable router with an X50-5G and I am superhappy with it except for one thing.

I am using a Google mesh network connected to the X50.

I can not find my Ethernet PoE camera (Axis brand) in my network. I also used to use the WAN address in the old router to access the camera remotely, but I guess that is not an option with the X50 either.

In my old router I turned off wifi to only use the Google mesh wifi, but that does not seem to be an option on the X50, and I can live with that.

The funny thing, though, is that my ethernet connected devices show up both in Google's app and in the Deco app, but not the same devices...

Can you use static ip addresses on the X50?

Any help in these matter would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Options
10 Reply
Re:Finding ethernet connected devices
2024-01-16 09:55:35

@Johan_E 

Hi, is the Google Mesh working in the Wireless router mode?

I think the POE cameras and other Ethernet-connected devices are getting IP addresses from Google, so they will not show up on the online client list of Deco X50-5G.

But Google Mesh does get an IP address from Deco so you could see it on the client list.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-01-17 07:48:39

@David-TP 

Hi David,

I have not found the camera neiter in the Google Home app nor in the Deco app.

I have tried to ping the number series found and also run some IP finder software without success.

I am thinking that perhaps an old fixed IP address may block the camera from connecting to the new network.

Could that be an explanation?

Regards,

Johan

Options
2024-01-17 08:54:54 - last edited 2024-01-17 08:55:30

@Johan_E 

If your camera is statically setup to work with the old cable router, you might have to adapt the configuration of the Deco for the camera to continue working.

Do you know the LAN IP used by the old router, and the LAN subnet mask?

You should probably adjust the LAN IP and subnet mask of the Deco, to the values previously used by the old cable router.

About using the WAN address of the Deco to access the camera remotely, I believe the Deco allows doing that.

Options
2024-01-17 08:58:03

@yves_b 

Thanks for the advices, most helpful.

Yes, I think I can backtrack the old LAN config.

Regarding the redirecting a LAN IP to the WAN port, do you know where to find that setting?

Thanks in advance,

Johan

Options
2024-01-17 10:29:36

@Johan_E For the redirection of ports, under "advanced", you will find "NAT forwarding".
How did you manage to "know" your WAN IP address in the previous setup?  Using DDNS?
As a point of attention, the volatility of the public IP address might be different from what you experienced with your previous ISP. 

Options
2024-01-17 12:15:17

@yves_b 

Thanks Yves,

In my old router there was a tab, "WAN settings", where you just added the ip address you wanted to reach from the outside and the WAN ip address was displayed at the tab.

Options
2024-01-17 12:23:31

@Johan_E 

You will find the same info in the "Internet Connection" in the Deco app.

Options
2024-01-17 12:26:43

@yves_b 

I can't find anything related to LAN in web GUI of the Deco.

But I guess you are reffering to the app for the NAT setting as well, or?

Options
2024-01-17 12:40:02

@Johan_E I am indeed referring to the app.  The web interface has very few capabilities, and is only usable locally (when connected to the Deco network).

Options
2024-01-17 12:41:28
As I thought, thanks.
Options