Deco M5 Guest Network Failure

2024-01-18 01:47:18 - last edited 2024-01-18 01:51:43
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there, I'm having issues getting a Deco M5 guest network working correctly.

The network topology is very simple, as follows. Deco #1 was set up first, in router mode, then Decos #2 and #3 were added. Backhaul is wired and through a TP-Link un-managed switch.

The main wifi network works without any issues across all 3 Deco M5 units. All is well so far!

The problem is with the guest network. The guest network was created from within the Deco app without any issues.

When connecting to the guest network from a physical location next to Deco #1, wifi connects and has internet access with no issues.

However, when trying to connect to the guest network from a physical location next to Deco #2 or Deco #3, wireless devices will either connect but have no internet connectivity, or fail to connect with a 'can't obtain IP address' error.

It appears that something is going wrong with the setup of the guest network that is preventing remote clients from seeing Deco #1 (which is the unit that hands out IP addresses and does DNS resolution).

My expectation is that the guest wifi network has the same coverage as the main wifi network (i.e. the whole network).

Troubleshooting steps already attempted:

• Update all units to latest firmware (done, no change)
  • Remove Deco #2 and #3 (guest network is visible and accessible from Deco #1 and works with no issues)
  • Remove all units, factory reset them all, then re-add one by one (no change)
  • Tried connecting from multiple different devices (laptops and phones) (no change)

I can't understand why the guest wifi network is visible but isn't useable from the 'remote' Deco units.

Questions

1. In the configuration drawn above, should the guest network be visible and usable from the 'remote' Deco units #2 and #3? I assume the answer has to be yes (or the product is fundamentally flawed).
  2. What should I try next?

Thanks in advance. These units are marketed and sold as being simple to connect and configure, but this issue has me stumped...

Options
15 Reply
Re:Deco M5 Guest Network Failure
2024-01-18 08:20:58
Confirming all units are Deco M5 hardware v3.20, running firmware 1.7.3 Build 20230906 Rel. 59213
Options
2024-01-18 12:40:27

@aatp 

The answer to your first question is "yes." 

Check this TP-Link FAQ document: How to extend guest network when there is a switch between Decos

This document discusses how to configure managed switch to support Guest Network. You said yours is TL-SG1024. As far as I can tell, TP-Link sells both managed and unmanaged switch under that model name, so double check which one you've got.

Options
2024-01-18 17:48:30

@Alexandre. Thank you for your reply and for the link provided, which is very relevant.

The behaviour I'm experiencing seems consistent with a managed switch where the vlan tagging has not been set up properly, therefore satellite decos are behaving strangely.

I will check if the switch is managed or unmanaged. If it's unmanaged then there should be nothing to set up and I'll remain confused. Fingers crossed the switch is the managed version!

Options
2024-04-02 17:20:43

@aatp I´m having the same issue, devices can't get ip address from guest network from the sattelite DECOs.

I'm using 4x M5 with unmanaged tp-link switch between them, but it's only possible to access to the guest Wi-Fi if I do it on the primary DECO M5. If I try it near the sattelites DECOS, I get no assign IP address.

All of my DECO M5 are running updated firmware version 1.7.4 Build 20231222 Rel. 63684

Options
2024-04-03 09:11:33

@asilvaju 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Could you please help me run a simple test:

1. Please unplug one satellite Deco M5 from the switch, and make it wirelessly connected to another M5.

2. Then check whether the mobile devices can connect to the guest network of this satellite M5.

By the way, May I know the model number of the unmanaged switch?

Is Deco M5 working in wireless router or AP mode?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-04-04 14:39:44

@David-TP 

Thanks for your reply. The unmanaged tp-link switch model is LS1005S -- 10/100/1000 -- 5 ports.

I have configured the 4x Deco M5 as instructed by the manufacturer:
-- First I connected one M5 to WAN, configured WiFi, defined as main router, etc.
-- Thus I wired the others 3x Deco M5 via the unmanaged switch to the main M5 and let it found and configure them automatically as satellites (no issues).

Everything works fine except the guest network when trying to connect via the satellites M5s as I have mentioned in my previous post. Users are able to connect to the main WiFi network via any M5, wireless coverage is great and mesh works perfectly as well.

This issue in the guest network is our pain point given these Deco M5 are installed in a church. Our objective is to have the main WiFi used for admin personnel/streaming only and offer the guest network for general users -- which is not possible today.  

I will make the test via wireless as you stated and let you know the results.

Options
2024-06-18 17:00:17

@asilvaju 

same case with me, HP unmanaged switch, Deco X50-5G as the main router, and three X20. Main network without problems, Guest network same symptoms as you described.

Options
2024-06-19 06:09:07

Hi I'm having the same issue...main unit is Deco BE63, with 4 XE75Pro & another BE63 as satellites. I've tried 2 different switches, both unmanaged, and neither worked, that is, with the guest network on the satellites. What worked was when I set one of the satellites wireless, was able to connect to the guest network on that. I would of course prefer to keep the satellites hooked up with ethernet (since I just added new cat6 wiring throughout the house), especially since it's a concrete house so wifi really has a tough time spreading out. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help. (Btw, all units with updated firmware as of 6.19.2024)

Options
2024-06-19 10:36:55

@asilvaju Try to Update Deco Units and then reboot Deco Units. Same problem with me, works fine now. Hope this helps

Options
2024-06-26 15:51:10

@Gentle_Mark he tried reboot and reconfig. I did too, same problem here. Deco E4, unmanaged TPLink switch. Everything up to date.

Tried connecting without switch; guest had no internet connection. Now, with switch, new devices can't get IP from satellite Deco guest network.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1596

Replies: 15

Related Articles