WiFi Becomes Unsecure after Trying to Connect Camera

2024-01-29 00:11:23 - last edited 2024-02-27 08:47:12
Tags: #WiFi

Hello, 

A power or WiFi outage knocked out all my Kasa TP-link lights and two cameras. When I try to reconnect them, my Xfinity WiFi becomes "unsecured" on my iPhone and the lights and cameras will not connect to an "unsecured network."

But if I disconnect from the camera or light WiFis, I cannot connect back to my Xfinity WiFi. My iPhone tells me it is unable.

Then, when I click "forget network" for both of them, my Xfinity WiFi becomes "secured" again and I can connect to Xfinity WiFi. Never during this time do my smart TVs lose WiFi. Any help would be appreciated. This is the 2nd time this has happened to me. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:WiFi Becomes Unsecure after Trying to Connect Camera-Solution
2024-02-25 14:54:59 - last edited 2024-02-27 08:47:12

@Solla-topee Hi there! As an update, two things of note: one, about a week after this thread, I tried putting my modem at a different connection in my apartment, which didn't work, so then I put it back where it was, and whadyaknow, the problem stopped. I still had to reconnect all my devices, but there was no secured/unsecured problem (it was my modem acting up); after calling Xfinity for an unrelated issue, I had a very helpful customer rep say I needed a new modem rental since mine was a few years old. All this said, the modem and connection was the culprit, so I would recommend unhooking everything and hooking it back up or seeing if you need an updated modem. 

Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:WiFi Becomes Unsecure after Trying to Connect Camera
2024-01-29 09:36:44

@Vinylad7 

Hi, 
Generally, the Kasa lights and cameras won't affect your ISP router settings, especially when they are not connected to the router's Wi-Fi.
I'm not sure if there was some confusion when configuring the Kasa devices, I'm suggested to try the following steps if the problem happens again.
1. Turn off all your Kasa devices, connect your phone to your ISP router's Wi-Fi, and ensure the Wi-Fi network is secured.
2. Turn on one Kasa camera, press the reset button for 5-10s to reset it, and then reconfigure it via the Kasa app. If you see the "unsecured network" message, may I have a picture of it? And please confirm which Wi-Fi network your phone is connected to.
3. If you can set up the camera successfully, turn one more device and set it up.
Best Regards

Options
2024-01-29 17:58:17

@Solla-topee 

Hi there,

Thank you for your assistance so far. I will include screenshots with numbering. Let me know if this offers clarity. 

Thank you. 

Options
2024-01-29 18:01:23
Options
2024-01-29 18:01:47
Options
2024-01-29 18:03:40
Options
2024-01-29 18:03:56 - last edited 2024-01-29 18:05:10

A few seconds later it's secured again  @Vinylad7 

Options
2024-01-29 18:04:27
Options
2024-01-30 12:35:02

@Vinylad7 

Hi,
In the picture with number 4, I see your iPhone connects to the camera's default SSID 'Kasa_Cam_XXX', a secured Wi-Fi name 'Ewxxx', and an unsecured Wi-Fi name 'EwDavid'. 

Is the Xfinity router's Wi-Fi name EwDavid? If so, it's suggested to check your router's Wi-Fi settings, for example, whether it broadcasts a secured 5G SSID and unsecured 2.4G SSID, or it has a secured main SSID and unsecured guest 2.4G SSID, etc.

Best Regards

Options
2024-01-31 11:03:18

@Solla-topee 

Hello. I really appreciate your help so far. That is correct, that's my WiFi name. I thought I blocked it out everywhere for privacy but oh well ha! Picture 4 almost always only occurs for a few seconds, then the network becomes secure again. It shows two for a few seconds, then just one that is secured and only broadcasts one signal. I believe this is 5G. 

Options
2024-01-31 12:43:14

@Vinylad7 

Hi,
Since the camera can only scan a 2.4G Wi-Fi network, if you see an unsecured Wi-Fi on the Kasa app when configuring the camera, this Wi-Fi network should be a 2.4G network, therefore, it's recommended to check if your router has configured an unsecured 2.4G network(the main, guest, or IoT Wi-Fi), it may use the same name as the 5G but the 5G is secured. And you can change the 2.4G Wi-Fi name on your router for a check.
Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 541

Replies: 12

Tags

WiFi
Related Articles