Deco P9 interop with Deco X50

2024-01-29 14:28:33

I currently have a 3-node mesh of Deco P9s working in AP mode and using Ethernet backhaul. I'm looking to add a fourth node and wondered whether I could add a single Deco X50 to the mesh and configure it as the master Deco? If this configuration would work then would I lose any functionality?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco P9 interop with Deco X50
2024-01-30 06:36:30

@Vumad 

Hi, It is great to add a Deco X50 into the Deco P9 Mesh.

Since the Deco will be set into AP mode, I don't recommend to set Deco X50 as the main Deco. Here is what I think:

1. In order to guarantee the Powerline Backhaul in the Mesh, P9 is often needed to set as the main Deco.

General Questions about the Powerline or PLC Backhaul Feature of Deco

2. When all Deco units are connected via a network switch, then to ISP modem router, the bandwidth of each satellite Deco will not be limited by the main Deco.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-01-30 09:22:03

@David-TP, many thanks for the quick reply. I'm using Gigabit Ethernet for the backhaul rather than PoweLine. Does that change the advice about using the X50 as the main Deco node?

Options
2024-02-01 07:23:11

@Vumad 

Yes, if you are going for Ethernet Backhaul, Deco X50 is better to be the main Deco.

best regards.

Options
2024-02-16 21:08:21

@Vumad 

TP-link says that a mesh network will only be as fast as the slowest deco.

Using the x50 as the main deco will not allow powerline on the p9 (as I understand).  It would be better to use the p9 as main unit and x50 as satellite.  Even if x50 is faster as main unit, because of the p9s, the speed will be max of the p9.

Also tp-link says in its FAQ: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1794/

IN ROUTER MODE, DO NOT CONNECT A SWITCH BETWEEN THE ISP MODEM/MAIN ROUTER AND DECO UNITS!   they dont really explain why but its a big NO NO. Maybe because the main deco and satellites cant be on same switch?

Why not just get another p9 unit?  Easy solution!?  Make sure its not a v1 version!

Options
2024-02-20 19:08:43

@henhen59, thanks for the info and links. As I already had Ethernet backhaul in place for the P9s I decided to try the X50 as the main deco, and so far it seems to be working well. The devices that connect to the X50 are all reporting stronger RSSI values. One of the attractions of the X50 was that I needed an extra LAN port in the same location as the master Deco, and as the X50 has three Ethernet ports rather than the two of the P9 then that's another box ticked.

I'll report back should I see any issues with the performance of the mesh. 

Options