Ethernet connection showing as old router after new router installed.

2024-02-02 15:43:35 - last edited 2024-02-03 17:18:19
Model: TL-WPA8630 KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have just changed yesterday broadband provider from talk talk to sky and had fibre to property installed on change over.

Downstairs at the sky q router I am using a Tp link 8010p adapter ethernet wired,paired with a TP link 8630 extender,three rooms along and upstairs,same locations before change over.

I have re paired the adapter and extender and have full green light connections for power,home,ethernet and both wi fi bands on the extender.

But the sky wi fi is not showing full bar connection on the wi fi icons in the windows 10 pro laptop or upstairs windows 11 pro desktop computer,but there are the various tp link connections shown with full bars.On the extender upstairs with an ethernet cable running from it to the desktop computer,it connects to the computer,giving about 90mbps download,compared to 150 at the router,more or less the same as before with the talk talk copper connnection on gfast.I am OK wit that speed fall off.

But the ethernet connection icon on the desktop computer is still showing the old talktalk router reference.I am not getting the wi fi connection for the sky router upstairs transmitting at full bar strength as it should from the extender.The icon is there but it is virtually no bars.Same when I use the laptop upstairs.

I have put the sky wi fi password in my laptop and it connects perfectly fine at the router via wi fi.

When I connect the laptop via an ethernet cable directly into the router,it connects,but again the ethernet icon in the laptop computer is stating the old talktalk router reference is being used.

I have unplugged everything,disconnected everything,restarted everything.Reset the extender,repaired......full green lights but the problem above still exists.When I remove the adapter and extender from the circuit and directly connect my laptop to the router via ethernet cable the ethernet icon on the laptop still states the old talktalk router.Why are the laptop and desktop seeing the router via ethernet as talktalk (totally disconnected) and not sky?

Bemused,grateful for help.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Ethernet connection showing as old router after new router installed.-Solution
2024-02-03 16:33:34 - last edited 2024-02-03 17:18:19

@portergo 

Hi,

If you want the TL-WPA8630 to broadcast the same Wi-Fi name as the Sky router, then log into the TL-WPA8630 and either change the "Network Name (SSID)"s and the passwords by hand or use the "Wi-Fi Clone" feature.

Regarding the network name that is shown for the Ethernet connection. Ethernet connections don't have names per se and home networks normally also don't have a Domain controller whose name could be utilized. Now, many years ago Microsoft thought that this is somewhat unfortunate and it would be nice to still have a network name shown in Windows. So they implemented some sort of algorithm (or call it AI) to come up with a network name by retrieving the name of one of the Wi-Fi networks that are part of the same LAN network. Obviously this worked fine the first time in your case, but not so well when you replaced the Wi-Fi router.

In case that network name thing bothers you a lot, then open the Local Group Policy Editor in Windows (gpedit.msc) and manually give the Ethernet connection a name of your own choice.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Ethernet connection showing as old router after new router installed.-Solution
2024-02-03 16:33:34 - last edited 2024-02-03 17:18:19

@portergo 

Hi,

If you want the TL-WPA8630 to broadcast the same Wi-Fi name as the Sky router, then log into the TL-WPA8630 and either change the "Network Name (SSID)"s and the passwords by hand or use the "Wi-Fi Clone" feature.

Regarding the network name that is shown for the Ethernet connection. Ethernet connections don't have names per se and home networks normally also don't have a Domain controller whose name could be utilized. Now, many years ago Microsoft thought that this is somewhat unfortunate and it would be nice to still have a network name shown in Windows. So they implemented some sort of algorithm (or call it AI) to come up with a network name by retrieving the name of one of the Wi-Fi networks that are part of the same LAN network. Obviously this worked fine the first time in your case, but not so well when you replaced the Wi-Fi router.

In case that network name thing bothers you a lot, then open the Local Group Policy Editor in Windows (gpedit.msc) and manually give the Ethernet connection a name of your own choice.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Ethernet connection showing as old router after new router installed.
2024-02-03 17:39:34

@woozle 

Hi there,I did some research last night and got to your advice from a windows ten forum article,"how to change a network profile name in windows10".

I was dubious about cloning yesterday because I thought the wrongly named ethernet connection might cause some sort of conflict in my network.I cloned it anyway this morning with the router,with all network stuff,computers,TV etc turned off,whilst cloning as a precaution.Then connected a laptop via wi fi and that was connecting well with the extender far from the router.Brought the other stuff in,one by one.

I have not renamed the ethernet connection yet as I am connecting stuff,away from the router, via wi fi on the extender and the drop off for me is comparable to the extender using ethernet.I get around 95mbps download three rooms along and 1st floor away from the routers 150 mbps.That's OK for me.

Thanks for your help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 213

Replies: 2

Related Articles