X50-POE AP MODE Guest network

2024-03-21 22:49:49
Model: Deco X50 - PoE  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.5 Build 20231122 Rel. 58711

Hi,

I've install brand new 3 pack of X50-POE yesterday, i've enabled guest wlan (Allow local access disabled), when i connect to wlan guest network i can't reach internet or nothing.

My assumption is deco snoop DHCP and see the default gateway and allow access only to the d.g. mac address .

Problem is, i have 2 Internet routers and i'm using VRRP which means i have a virtual ip default gateway and virtual mac address which means returing traffic is coming from a different mac address.

Another issue is my dns is also on the internal lan but on a different ip address and it's not my internet router, so even if i was able to reach internet while using vrrp, i was unable to do hostname resolving.

Best approach would be to be able to add vlan tag for the guest and iot networks.

Options
2 Reply
Re:X50-POE AP MODE Guest network
2024-03-22 06:45:15

@yakovz 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

I think the second one might be the cause of the internet failure on the Guest Network.

- Another issue is my dns is also on the internal lan but on a different ip address and it's not my internet router, so even if i was able to reach internet while using vrrp, i was unable to do hostname resolving.

Since there hasn't been a plan to support VLAN tags in the Guest network/IOT network in AP mode and I noticed you just bought Deco X50-POE, I think maybe our business Omada Access Point would be a better alternative:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/omada/wifi/

How to configure Multi-Networks & Multi-SSIDs on Omada SDN Controller

Thanks again and best regards.

Options
Re:X50-POE AP MODE Guest network
2024-03-22 13:55:46

@David-TP It's not just the 2nd one (dns issue) that causing internet failure and i'm saying this because i can't ping  IPs on the internet (8.8.8.8 for example), if it was just name resolution issue i would figure out a solution but it seems there is an issue with Deco using guest network while lan access disabled if the upstream router is using vrrp.

Options