Deco M5 Specific DHCP Range Question

2024-03-27 00:08:17
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello
I'm in the UK and using a Virgin Media router, which has appalling Wi-Fi coverage.

I am considering purchasing the S7 Or the M5 but have a couple of questions I am hoping somebody can help me with.

QUESTION 1:
I currently have a DHCP range is 192.168.0.30 to 192.168.0.70. Outside this range, I have a couple of Wi-Fi cameras that have fixed IP addresses, for example 192.168.0.80 and 192.168.0.81

I also have to network attached storage devices that have fixed IP such as 192.168.0.201 and 202 (set on the device itself)

if I make my virgin router just a modem and use the M5 as a DHCP server will I still be able to use the same scope as above or will I have to reconfigure everything including new addresses for the cameras and NAS devices?

QUESTION 2:

I have a Wi-Fi camera at the front of my house connected to Wi-Fi Fred and the Wi-Fi camera at the back of my house connected to Wi-Fi Joe.
Is it possible to keep the above configuration whilst at the same time having a mesh Wi-Fi network?
Otherwise I will have to pay somebody to go up the ladder to reconfigure the cameras. (Unfortunately, I'm disabled and can't do that)

QUESTION 3:

Can I also check that the Wi-Fi-enabled lightbulbs Will have connectivity to the mesh network?

Many thanks

Mike

https://siliconhell.com/
Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco M5 Specific DHCP Range Question
2024-03-27 03:51:44

@Spasticus 

Hi, welcome to the community.

For the Question 2:

"I have a Wi-Fi camera at the front of my house connected to Wi-Fi Fred and the Wi-Fi camera at the back of my house connected to Wi-Fi Joe."

-Are these two separate WiFi networks broadcasted by the Virgin Media router?

It is suggested to have Deco M5 and set Deco into Access Point mode.

When Deco is in Access Point mode, it still has its own Mesh WiFi and the Virgin Media router remains the DHCP Router.

In this way, the previous DHCP configuration settings will continue working properly.

As for the Wi-Fi-enabled lightbulbs, if they don't have extra requirements and just need a normal 2.4GHz WiFi, they should work well with Deco Mesh.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 82

Replies: 1

Related Articles