Remote control when not on WiFi

3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

How do you control the plug when away from home when not in home WiFi. I tried it when I was out and only in 4g and it said can't connect. I thought the idea was to be able to control anywhere on mobile data or WiFi away from home 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Remote control when not on WiFi -Solution

@Smarthouse1 

When a Tapo device connects to a WiFi network and has internet access, it can be operated remotely from anywhere, regardless of the type of network your phone uses.

If you have restricted the device's internet access on the home wifi network, or if the smart plug is connected to a wifi network that does not have internet access, it can only be operated locally.

enlightened If the Tapo device is connected to a standard WiFi network but cannot be controlled remotely, go to the tips provided. ​​​​​​​ Cannot use the Tapo/Kasa app to control my smart devices

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Remote control when not on WiFi
3 weeks ago

@Smarthouse1 

Can you see the device in the Tapo app when on 4G?

Do you have a TP-Link account?

To test your setup, you don't have to leave your home. Just turn off wifi on your mobile device...

Options
Re:Remote control when not on WiFi -Solution

@Smarthouse1 

When a Tapo device connects to a WiFi network and has internet access, it can be operated remotely from anywhere, regardless of the type of network your phone uses.

If you have restricted the device's internet access on the home wifi network, or if the smart plug is connected to a wifi network that does not have internet access, it can only be operated locally.

enlightened If the Tapo device is connected to a standard WiFi network but cannot be controlled remotely, go to the tips provided. ​​​​​​​ Cannot use the Tapo/Kasa app to control my smart devices

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 123

Replies: 2

Related Articles