Question about MLO and 6 GHz network

2024-05-06 13:49:28 - last edited 2024-06-19 03:44:21
Model: Deco BE65  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.7

If I would like to connect WIFI 7 client to MLO network, do I need to enable separate 6GHz network to fully utilize its 5GHz/6GHz capability?

Currently, 2GHz/5GHz network and MLO network are enabled and I do not want to have so many networks broadcasting.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Question about MLO and 6 GHz network
2024-05-07 03:46:44

@Crysta1 

Hi, welcome to the community.

May I know the model number of your Wi-Fi 7 client?

And there is no need to enable separate 6GHz network to fully utilize its 5GHz/6GHz capability in MLO network.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-05-08 02:19:25

@David-TP 

Intel BE200 for my Windows 11 PC (latest Intel driver). However, it seems always connected to 5GHz channel and never utilized 6GHz if 6GHz network is disabled.

I did a test by enabling the separate 6GHz network and connected to it, which seems to working fine and got significantly higher transfer rate than typical 5GHz network.

However, once I disabled 6GHz and connect my PC to MLO network, the transfer rate reduces to as similar as a standard 5GHz. The PC shows that I connected to only 5GHz channel and never utilized 6GHz for some reason. Moreover, the Deco app "network optimization" function just shows only 2GHz and 5GHz channel. So questioned whether I need to enable separate 6GHz network to utilize it capability on MLO network or not.

Options
2024-05-08 03:39:01

@Crysta1 

Hi, Thanks for the update.

I checked with the engineer and he confirmed that we doesn't need to enable separate 6GHz network to utilize it capability on MLO network.

I also tested "Network Optimization," and it did not detect the wireless bands used by the MLO network. Therefore, I believe this feature does not have an effect on the MLO network.

For the Intel BE200, It doesn't seem to support Multi-Link Operation (MLO) yet on the official build.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Is-the-BE200-yet-capable-of-MLO/m-p/1578292?profile.language=en

So It would connect to either 5GHz or 6GHz to Deco. The preferred wireless band might depend on the Intel PC itself.

In this case, I think we could try to disable MLO network now, and enable the separate 6GHz network instead to get a better transfer rate.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 410

Replies: 3

Related Articles