A separate network. Guest wifi disconnects too often

3 weeks ago
Model: Deco BE85  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.18 Build 20240409 Rel. 41111

I really hope somebody can help me. I just bought this mesh router to replace my Verizon router. I've used Orbi in the past and this time I bought Deco because lots of reviews said it was great. I currently looking to create a separate network for muy tenants. I don't want to have access to smart devices such as speakers and TV's. I just noticed that the guest wifi disconnects if not being used for 10 minutes. I want to create a network for them and I want network for me but using the same internet connection. I have currently ran an ethernet from main router to secondary router. I still have the Verizon router. I tried connecting from the LAN port on the secondary router to the WLAN port on the Verizon router and create a separate network but, it's not consistent it disconnects devices. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:A separate network. Guest wifi disconnects too often
3 weeks ago

@mosesh1185 

Hi, welcome to the community.

The Guest network supports setting Duration time and I think you could set the Duration time to "Always".

How to set up a Guest Network for Deco

As for the workaround of creating a separate network via  Verizon router, is the network layout like:

Internet---main Deco BE85---<cable>---satellite Deco BE85---<cable>Verizon router

It is not suggested to use the following topology compared with the Guest network as when the tenants connect to the Verizon network, they can also access the Deco network.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:A separate network. Guest wifi disconnects too often
3 weeks ago

@David-TP 

So David, I've tried to use the guest network but for some reason the devices have been disconnecting. I guess after a certain time it disconnects them. I was reading about something online on the tp-link website that the Wi-Fi will turn off after 10 minutes of not being connected. So I think maybe that's what's happening is they're not accessing the internet and it disconnects them.

Options