BE85 slow download (using SFP+ connection)

a week ago
Model: Deco BE85  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.18

So I got a pair of Deco BE85 units.

My current configuration is ISP's optic fiber going straight into my Mikrotik CCR2004-1G-12S+2XS rounter's SFP28 port (I got a 25G up / 25G down connection, and it is really able to achieve those speeds, e.g. https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/56f1e8cd-ee62-40e5-b749-3345797a80aa)

Deco is configured to work in the Access Point mode with a wired backhaul, both units are connected to said Mikrotik router with a fiber optic cable using 10G SFP+ fiber optic modules.

The issue is that the speed test built into Deco units is only showing around 3.5G download speeds (but is showing 9.5G upload speeds). I am pretty sure that it is not a routing / connectivity / SFP+ module / ISP issue, because swapping that SFP+ module from Deco to a desktop computer would always show 10G for both upload and download speeds.

It is also not a speedtest server problem, as I'm using the same server that I know for sure is capable of 25G speeds (see the link above).

So the question is: How to fix that 3.5G download speed to be closer to expected 10G?

Thanks!

Options
6 Reply
Re:BE85 slow download (using SFP+ connection)
a week ago

I have noticed that during said speedtest, Deco's CPU utilization maxes out at 100%. Does that mean the unit is just incapable of delivering anything beyond 3.5Gbps?

Options
a week ago

@Max_M 

internet Who spf+ are you using 10getenk  depending the switch your using  that might be the issue  yes i love have 10 gb 

Options
a week ago

@Max_M 

Hi, May I know the model number of the 10G SFP+ fiber optic modules here?

I noticed you mentioned, "swapping that SFP+ module from Deco to a desktop computer would always show 10G for both upload and download speeds".

---Did you use a 10G SFP+ copper module instead or is your computer equipped with a 10G SFP+ PCI board?

In the meantime, I would like to follow up on your case via email since I might need to consult the engineers for more advice.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
a week ago

@David-TP Hi, and thanks for the response. 

The SFP+ modules I'm using are optical, not copper. Specifically, they are https://www.fs.com/products/74681.html and matching https://www.fs.com/products/74682.html on the other end, with a generic configuration.

I'm pretty sure they are not in play here though. To isolate the issue, this morning I connected my [Main] Deco to the same router using a regular copper Cat7 cable, and got exactly the same result.

Additionally, I tried disconnecting my second Deco, and testing the remaining one with both (copper and SPF+) conection options, getting the same results.

The last thing to try that came to my mind is swapping the primary Deco role to the other unit – again, exactly the same result.

In all cases, I can confirm on Mikrotik side that the link has succcessfully auto-negotiated as 10G full duplex one.

Options
a week ago

@Max_M 

Hi, Thank you very much for the update. These tests are very helpfullaugh.

I have forwarded the case to the senior engineer and please check the email for more suggestions.

Best regards.

Options
a week ago

Very interesting topic,

i am also looking to update my home network to 5gbit download\upload internet next month.

with sfp+ connection with Deco BE95

if you find way to bypass 3.5gbit limit please write your recommendations

Options