Use SFP module for incoming internet connection

3 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: Deco BE85  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.19

Hi All,

My internet connection is a FTTP GPON which my ISP provided their own cheap bulky router which I wanted to replace.

I bought the Deco BE85 for the purpose of replacing it and to get a GPON SFP module to take the connection directly.

On setup, I copied all the provided PPPOE settings - no connection. Even cloned the MAC address of the ISP router, still nothing. I've had to resort to the ISP sending me out a bridge device which still needs PPPOE settings and it works fine for that.

Is this device capable of making the internet connection via the SFP+ module? Theres not even a way to tell that the module is installed and recognised

The interface is extremely basic and limited so it's dificult to work out where it thinks the WAN connection is coming from and information like the strength of the fibre connection which I can see on the cheap ISP router.

For reference;

The SFP module purchased is https://www.fs.com/uk/products/192476.html

My ISP is 4TH Utility (UK Based ISP)

Can anyone tell me if a direct connection to a GPON network is possible and if someone has actually acheived it and able to share any settings / configs they needed to make.

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Use SFP module for incoming internet connection-Solution

@mattinwards 

Hi, welcome to the community.

It is suggested to refer to Deco SFP+ Ports User Reference Guide first.

It is possible to use Deco BE85+PON ONU Stick to create a direct connection to a GPON network. However, the PON ONU Stick requires strict compatibility with the ISP GPON network. It is usually suggested to contact the ISP to ensure the third-party PON ONU is allowed and whether they have any recommended models.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Use SFP module for incoming internet connection-Solution

@mattinwards 

Hi, welcome to the community.

It is suggested to refer to Deco SFP+ Ports User Reference Guide first.

It is possible to use Deco BE85+PON ONU Stick to create a direct connection to a GPON network. However, the PON ONU Stick requires strict compatibility with the ISP GPON network. It is usually suggested to contact the ISP to ensure the third-party PON ONU is allowed and whether they have any recommended models.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options