VX220 IP to MAC binding

VX220 IP to MAC binding

VX220 IP to MAC binding
VX220 IP to MAC binding
2 weeks ago - last edited a week ago

G'day from a newbie :)

First problem here is forum strict entry protocol won't find my VX220-G2v or in fact any VX220 so I chose an Archer model merely to be accepted.

Second problem, unless I am blind, is no ability to add a screen-grab image so I shall have to spell it out with words.

Internode sent me the VX220 to replace my TG789.  What I cannot find anywhere is a User Manual that addresses Access Control and IP/MAC binding.

In my TG789 I use a single menu to set up Access Control permitting me to fix all my connecting devices to an individual IP address.   Examples, my PC is always given 10.1.1.10, Phone 10.1.1.20,  Smart TV 10.1.1.150, etc.   I have 23 such fixed IP allocations and each I give a name to.

With the VX220 there are 2 menus to seeming cover the single menu in the TG789.   The VX220 menus are Access Control and another menu for IP and MAC binding.  There is also an ARP list.   I can't figure out how to use these.  In one place I can identify a device by MAC and associate an IP but cannot bind it.   In another place I can bind an IP to a MAC but not give it a name.   These 2 menus do not seem to talk to each other.

The VX220 seems to defy logic when trying to configure it.   When I think I have what I may want and enable Access Control I am denied access by my cable-connected PC.  I have to connect via WiFi and then disable Access Control.   My PC then connects but all devices are allocated sequential incrementing IPs beginning at 10.1.1.10 and ignore my entered configuration/allocation.  

I'm in desperate need of a detailed User Manual but suspect none exists.  Hopefully experts here will be able to assist :)

Regards,  Tom         

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:VX220 IP to MAC binding -Solution

@Tom-B 

You cant find your router model because it's ISP provided device and it's not supported by the community.

For what you want you need DHCP address reservation feature configured - details.

Keep in mind that this feature doesn't allow you to set a client device name.

What Access Control does - details.

What IP/MAC binding does - details.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:VX220 IP to MAC binding -Solution

@Tom-B 

You cant find your router model because it's ISP provided device and it's not supported by the community.

For what you want you need DHCP address reservation feature configured - details.

Keep in mind that this feature doesn't allow you to set a client device name.

What Access Control does - details.

What IP/MAC binding does - details.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:VX220 IP to MAC binding
a week ago

@terziyski 

I finally got around to reading and actioning your response smiley

With my experiences limited to the TG789 and before that a Draytek, I expected to find what I wanted in the Access Control area.  Given that failure to achieve I then looked at IP/MAC binding as that made sense as the alternative place for TP-Link to use and sounded like exactly what I wanted to achieve.

Satisfied I was in the correct area but just not using it properly I looked no further and remained mystified sad

Thanks to you I was alerted to Address Reservation.   On day one I'd already been on that page configuring my DHCP server and back there many times since.   However I'd never scrolled down far enough to see Address Reservation.

So you have solved my major issue and I am extremely thankful for your advice heart

Perhaps you have more words of wisdom?   I cannot find any means of saving my detailed configuration to a back-up file.   Internode had disabled that feature on my previous modem so maybe they have done the same with the VX220 special?

Kind regards,  Tom

Options
Re:VX220 IP to MAC binding
a week ago

@Tom-B 

Try this guide. If you can't find Backup and Restore section then this has not been implemented in the router FW.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 106

Replies: 3

Related Articles