Intermittent visibility of devices on LAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-12-06 08:55:33
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TD-W8968

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version : 1.0.5 Build 140321 Rel.42949

ISP :

Hi,

Just bought the TD-W8968 modem/router to replace a Technicolor modem/router, hoping the TP-Link would perform better for WiFi signal range, and it does appear to be stronger in this regard.

However, I am now having problems with some devices on the LAN having intermittent visibility - I am running a Linux Desktop PC serving files via NFS to a Raspberry Pi, and an Android tablet as a remote control for the Pi. Sometimes the connection between the Pi and PC was lost, other times between the tablet and the Pi. Using Fing on the tablet to show devices on the network, I could see that sometimes the devices were visible, and other times they were not.

I started off with the PC and the Pi set to connect with static IP addresses, but since changed them to use DHCP, and set the router to assign static IP addresses for them - which it did, but still the intermittent visibility problems persisted, so I disabled the assignment of static IP addresses and still no resolution.

The Pi and PC were connected via a switch, so I unplugged the switch and removed the Pi from the network, and plugged the PC directly to the router.

All the devices however connect to the internet, even if they could not ping each other. Opening a terminal on Linux, ping would either fail completely to reach destination, or succeed for thirty or so seconds before failing again.

However, the visibility did not seem to happen to all devices, the main culprits were the PC and the Pi bother connected via ethernet. A Linux laptop connected over Wifi was always visibile, a Sony mobile was always visible, while a I-Pad in another room also sufferred from intermittent visibility.

Been going round in circles trying to figure this out, hoping there's something I'm missing?
Options
3 Reply
Re:Intermittent visibility of devices on LAN
2014-12-06 18:18:52
You have a very interesting trouble. Just out of curiosity can you please check the mac addresses of each of the network cards in your PC and Raspberry, the wifi card in your tablet, I-pad and sony mobile and the LAN mac address for the TD-W8968 router/modem and your switch. Compare all of them just to make sure none of them are duplicates.
Options
2014-12-06 19:15:39
Thanks for replying. I've been looking into it a bit more this morning. Reset the router/modem to defaults and started again and changed the Wifi key so not all devices could reconnect...

I hadn't mentioned the WiFi repeater used (and set up) by my flatmate. I think this may have been causing the problem - Fing on the Android tablet, showed the repeater as having the same hostname as my PC, but different IP of 192.168.1.253. I've turned the repeater off and so far it looks like it may have been the cause, but early days...
Options
2014-12-09 04:51:05
Did you verify that all the mac addresses for the devices in question were unique? including all the ones above and the repeater and your PC?
Options