TD-W9980 crashing: TP-Link need to fix this issue ASAP!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-02-03 05:34:32
Region : Ireland

Model : TD-W9980

Hardware Version : V1

Current Firmware Version : 0.6.0 1.8 v0021.0 Build 140925 Rel.32089n

Latest Firmware tested: TD-W9980_V1_141215

ISP : Eircom eFibre VDSL2 (no vectoring so far)

Recently bought a TD-W9980 and quickly began to notice these modem routers have a flaw that has been carried through several generations of TP-link devices. For some odd reason the router doesn't play nice with networked devices pushing high bandwidth up and down and around the WAN/LAN, so much so that it crashes randomly at least twice, maybe three times a day. You can't access the network wirelessly, any new devices attempting to connect will not be assigned an IP by DHCP as it seems to be borked, the modem's firmware settings are inaccessible but you can connect to the internet on a wired connection strangely enough (if the client device has been already assigned an IP before the crash). Syslogs are wiped on restart every time so today I decided to use my NAS as a syslog server so it could feed error messages to it. Nothing/no crash so far.

Similar issues can be seen on the TD-W8980, W8970 and the W8968. I believe it is a flaw in the firmware that leads the router to do intensive CPU work and then overheat (see heatsink replacement link). Some say it might be the NAT table being overloaded (out of bounds or poor memory allocation). Pretty much all these routers are passively cooled and rated with a ideal max temp of 40 degrees Celsius. I can tell you that by placing my hand over the case, it certainly feels like its hitting that threshold quite quickly.

W9980: TP-Link Forum - TD-W9980 multiple issues
W8980: Whirlpool Forum - TD-W8980 error
W8970: http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?3102-TD-W8970-freezing&highlight=NAT+crash TP-Link Forum - TD-W8970 freezing and NAT crash
W8968: TP-Link Forum - My W8968 has begun to freeze up...
Heatsink replacement: ADSL Zone - TD-W8970

Prime culprit seems to be related to torrents and a PLEX media laptop server setup I have going on with a QNAP NAS. I want to like this router. I really do. The menus are a breeze and when it works, its so snappy. My ISP (Eircom) modem router which is a rebranded Zyxel VMG8324-B10A is a load of muck and dies due to unstable firmware as well so I've no other option. I've posted a review on Amazon detailing this and will update it as soon as you release a definitive fix for the issue. Also something to note is the TD-W9980 is not in the list of selectable devices when posting on the forums so I had to edit the HTML combo box on the new thread page to cater for this. I am willing to try beta firmware (as long as patch notes are issued with them detailing whats changed).

Also, another issue that seems to occur in multiple TP-Link devices is that diagnostic tools will always seem to fail when testing DNS root for "Internet surfing" even though I can browse perfectly fine (until of course the modem router crashes!). This error occurs in every firmware available for the TD-W9980 for me.

Test DNS Root: TP-Link Forum - W8980 Test DNS Root
Options
26 Reply
Re:TD-W9980 crashing: TP-Link need to fix this issue ASAP!
2015-02-03 14:42:50
It seems that your W9980 is not running the latest firmware. Besides, if you want TP-LINK people to fix the issue ASAP, you should contact them directly.
http://ticket.tp-link.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit
Options
2015-02-05 04:26:36

Vivian wrote

It seems that your W9980 is not running the latest firmware. Besides, if you want TP-LINK people to fix the issue ASAP, you should contact them directly.
http://ticket.tp-link.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit

I apologize I should of wrote this again but I forgot about it when my original post didn't show up (had to rewrite this forum post twice). I had the latest firmware (TD-W9980_V1_141215) as of the time of post. But I had to revert back to the cited firmware because the newer one made it more unstable (first thing I tried).

I have submitted a ticket already. Just got an email response. If anything I'm putting this up on the forum so others can see and relate to a common problem.
Options
2015-02-16 17:17:19
Hi Kevin. I too am having problems with my WD9980.

With regards to setting your NAS as the syslog server, I also did that. However the error reporting on the 9980 only reports for DHCP - nothing else. Pretty poor.

Please keep posting anything you find onto here and I will do the same.
Options
2015-02-18 01:22:31
another fault - I have now lost the 5GHz wifi.
Options
2015-03-10 03:53:25
I have the same issue keeps crashing just under normal web browsing. Spoke to Tp tech and they said you can only have a max of 8 Devices connected to it.. This can't be true can it....
Options
2015-03-10 17:29:39

Daveesh1 wrote

I have the same issue keeps crashing just under normal web browsing. Spoke to Tp tech and they said you can only have a max of 8 Devices connected to it.. This can't be true can it....

So...if you just connect 8 devices or less, your connection will be stable? It is a little bit unacceptable, isn't it...
Did you try to disable UPnP to test?
Options
2015-03-10 18:13:41
I don't think so Daveesh1.

I think the tech may not understand his companies own literature - there is a restriction of 8 P VC's (permanent virtual circuits/channel), not 8 PCs.

I certainly connect more than 8 devices concurrently.
Options
2015-03-11 07:28:33
Was wondering but have seen a asus combined adsl/vdsl that recommends only upto 8 devices. No not tried to disable upnp yet as speed has dropped as DLM kicked in so gone back to OR modem and a WDR 3600
Options
Getting too hot ?
2015-06-12 06:32:09
Hi

I saw the thread and have almost the same problem.
Some facts:

Danish TDC ISP
VDSL2 35/10 Mbit - no WIFI activated via Off switch - (Archer C7 AP connected as LAN1).
9980 does all the NAT,DHCP, Firewall, Forwarding, Modem VDSL2 and Print server in use.

I have a NAS with few torrents and a Plex server on PC for WLAN/Chromecast
C7 only for WIFI
Cable from NAS and TV (and C7 AP) on the 9980
USB Printer attached as well

It get's too hot and can't be placed inside a small confined space - needs cooling or crashes!
To be placed on a stonewall upside down for best cooling.

Just installed the new firmware 070515 for 10 minutes ago - if anything new happens after this, I'll be back with info.
Thinking about using USB port for a fan ? Some say Heatsink mod? = Warranty void
:)
Options
2015-06-12 14:48:57
Is it possible for you to test the temperature instead of feeling it hot? Try to disable UPnP, which may help to solve crashing issue.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4809

Replies: 26