Archer VR900 random error "Please try to configure your DNS manually."

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-08-31 19:50:36 - last edited 2020-03-04 07:14:35
Ï am facing similar issue where randomly my router and start to show Please try to configure your DNS manually."

While I have tried many times resting and reconfiguring. I am on the latest Firmware version. Do not have this issue with the other ADLS router I have. Strange thing is sometimes I have to manually reboot the router as it completly stops responding (Wired and wireless). I will check if going back to previous F/W version helps.
Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Archer VR900 random error "Please try to configure your DNS manually."-Solution
2020-03-04 07:14:26 - last edited 2020-03-04 07:14:35

To those who have this issue, 

If your DSL modem router lost connection intermittently with this error message pops up, please provide us with the information attached below; then we can do shorten the whole process and able to give you a specific answer.

Note: Please answer these questions when this issue happens.

1. The LED status of the TP-Link router, especially the internet led. 

2. The screenshot of the Basic-network page where you can see the error message. 

3. How can you recover the network connection? Like reboot it manually or it will work within a few seconds/minutes automatically.

4. Please show us the full screenshot of the Advanced-status page. Especially the DSL status.

5. Who is your ISP and what is the bandwidth you paid? Please tell us the current hardware and firmware version of your router, as well as its country version which you can find on the back of the actual device, next to the model number. 

Thanks in advance. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Archer VR900 random error "Please try to configure your DNS manually."-Solution
2020-03-12 03:43:51 - last edited 2020-03-12 03:44:18

@4x3.2x9 @Noufi @Mike3W 

Hello all, 

Regarding the unstable connection issue of  Archer VR900 V3(EU),  please download and upgrade the beta firmware below.

https://static.tp-link.com/2019/201912/20191218/Archer VR900(EU)V3.zip

You can get more help about how to update the firmware by manually from the FAQ:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2189/

Please feel free to connect us for further help if you have any problems!

Have a good day!

Recommended Solution
Options
107 Reply
Re:Archer VR900 random error "Please try to configure your DNS manually."
2015-09-01 14:07:06
Strange thing is sometimes I have to manually reboot the router as it completly stops responding (Wired and wireless)

When it stops responding, how about status of all lights in the front panel? Can you still login its web interface? If you can, check Diagnostic results.
Options
2015-09-02 23:21:22
When it stops responding all lights are on but I am unable to access via wireless or wired connection. I did a hard factory reset today and reconfigured it. Lets wait and see the results else I will downgrade the firmware to previous version.
Options
2015-09-07 20:16:54
I downgraded the firmware and tried again but I get the same error "Please try to configure your DNS manually." I also did try entering DNS manually but same result. This behaviour is random and when the error occurs, in the diagnostics I get this "Network Connection Status Inspect(NCSI) - Fail"

I am using this on Airtel Broadband service in India connected via ADSL+.

I am now using my old ASUS ADSL router which is working perfectly . I believe VR900 Firmware has bug and may be specific to Service provider.
Options
2015-09-08 14:46:46
You said " I am unable to access via wireless or wired connection. "...
You have no internet via wireless or wired connection but you can access its web interface at that time, right?
Is it still under warranty?
http://www.tp-link.in/support/rma/
Options
2015-09-10 16:27:11
Sounds like a similar problem to mine, except I am on VDSL. Seems I have wasted nearly £150 on what I thought would be a good modem/router. :(
Options
2015-10-12 00:47:50
I am getting the same error ("Please try to configure your DNS manually.") after logging in, under "Basic > Internet > Internet Status", as can be seen in the image below.

"Internet Status" also shows as "Disconnected" as well, as you can see. It goes into this state pictured on the screenshot above after it goes through the "Internet Status: Detecting" stage; which is after refreshing the page and within a few (like around 3 to 5) seconds.

At this point, the "Internet", "USB" and "WPS" LEDs are off. I can usually access the internet but however, sometimes Chrome gives some DNS related errors and can not open some pages. I can save and share those errors as well, if required. But they are usually DNS related errors, which show up when the DNS server isn't responding. I guess I'm using VDSL if that's important.

The issue seems to be random, and sometimes gets fixed when I try to ping the DNS servers (which usually respond, and sometimes don't).

I've sent the VR900 to TP-LINK, and the guys told that it had some problems but have fixed them. But after I received it from TP-LINK, it's still having the same issue.

I've made several calls to the ISP and they weren't able to acknowledge any problems with my VDSL service so far.
Options
2015-10-12 14:09:35
Your guys upgraded the latest firmware?
http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/Archer-VR900_V1.html#Firmware

If it won't help, you'd better contact TP-LINK support team here.
http://ticket.tp-link.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit
Options
2015-10-12 22:54:43
Yes, I'm running the latest FW.

I've just contacted TP-LINK support and now working with them.
Options
2015-11-11 21:48:08
After some troubleshooting, TP-LINK suggested me to replace the VR900.
Options
2015-12-29 00:10:33

crazy_boy2 wrote

After some troubleshooting, TP-LINK suggested me to replace the VR900.

We have replaced the unit with a new one, and the problem continues. I'm currently waiting for feedback from TP-LINK support.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 20191

Replies: 107

Related Articles