How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

401 Reply
Choosing a compatible IEEE 1905.1 protocol TP-Link switch, to use with Deco M5 ethernet backhaul star network
2020-02-09 22:20:16

@TP-Link Deco 

Hello,

Will be buying the Deco M5, 3 units for my home.

Will be setting up a star network intened for Ethernet Backhaul per your diagram below (CAT6 cables between Main Deco to Switch and between Slaves to Switch).

All TP-Link switches I was looking at, did not mention supporting IEEE 1905.1 protocol that is required for the Deco M5 Ethernet Backhaul feature to work...

Please suggest the switches that DO support this protocol...

Thank you!

Mesh804

Options
Hardwired is the best way to go
2020-02-12 22:50:56

I wanted to share my experiences with the Deco line and using hardwired backhaul.

I am an experienced networking person, so my home network is always optimized, and I always prefer to hardwire my access points for the best results. 

The Deco line does make for easy deployment, so I had some M5's I wired (star topology) into my network in AP mode (I use an IQrouter as the primary router to combat bufferbloat). Works great!

I recently tried some Deco P9's, as a neighbor needs a mesh solution, but does not have any ethernet for the backhaul, so I figure a powerline model would work for him. While testing the P9, I found out my electrical system kills powerline links (I have whole-home power-factor correctors and surge protection that kills RF on the electrical lines) so I was getting red indicators for powerline quality. I just plugged in some ethernet to the home LAN (I have ethernet in every room), and even the P9 falls back to wired ethernet, nice.

Some have asked about switches, and I can say the TP-Link TL-SG108 is my favorite all-purpose small switch, at $20 on Amazon, a much better value than the 5-port. Works fine with the Deco's

My Network has a mix of switches, including some semi-pro HP models, and the Deco backhaul runs through all of it fine.

Options
Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco 9 M Plus
2020-02-13 03:20:59

@KarstenB The IEEE 1905.1 protocol is similar to an application-level protocol like https and dns, which should be forwarded by all switches by default. No special support required.

However, we don't know why some D-Link switches don't forward such packets. Except for these D-Link switches, all the other switches including TP-Link Switches should work with Deco without any problem.

Options
Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices
2020-03-04 19:23:38
Options
2020-04-14 13:18:58

@TP-Link Deco 

I used Deco M9 plus (Pack-3) now I sold 5 port TL-SG105 switch now my question is which port use main Deco to Slave Deco(2&3)

Port-1

Port-2

Port-3

Port-4

Port-5

Which port use Ethernet input & output.

Options
2020-04-23 12:53:27

How do we know our internet IP code

Options
2020-05-16 13:35:27 - last edited 2020-05-16 13:36:06

@TP-Link Deco

Just for your (and others) information, I've had the same problem with a Zyxel GS1200-8 managed switch with a Deco P9 set.

Replaced it with a Netgear GS108 switch and it's working fine now.

Options
2020-05-16 19:46:54

@TP-Link Deco Question:

I have 3 Deco M9's in my network but want to use a switch in the future.

Will the folliwing setup work:

[ROUTER] -> [Switch] (with 2 deco's wired connected, one of them will be main deco). -> Switch -> Deco ?

Thanks in advance

Options
2020-05-16 20:56:41

@fendo 

Should be fine as long as you use them in AP mode. But guess you already do that.

And make sure you use a TP-link or Netgear switch.

Options
2020-05-23 19:44:16

Hello TP, 

I want to get started with Deco M5 MESH Wifi.

Is the setup as below good to get started to get backhaul working from the 3 Deco's and the EAP225 in MESH?

It is in dutch's but "Modem Ziggo" is my internetconnection.

Hope to hear from you,

Kind regards, Stephan

@TP-Link Deco 

Options