How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

401 Reply
Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices
2019-09-27 06:28:29 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

@TP-Link Deco Situation with the Ethernet backhoul is quite understandable for 3 Deco units. But what shall I do, when I have 4 units ? Because there is said that two Deco units can be connected through the ethernet backhaul. I have all Deco Units on the last firmware (1.3.1).

Deco P7

• I am using all deco´s in the AP mode, because I have a router as a main connection
  • we have 4 floors, so it needs to be donethat way, that I have 1 deco in the each floor
  • Internet connection is made in the ground floor, where the main Deco is sonnected to the internet

I need to wire as many Deco units as I can, because we have such thick floors, so in the end, in the top floor there is really bad connection

Options
2019-09-27 10:24:33 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

Can I do it like this?

Options
2019-10-14 00:22:04 - last edited 2019-10-14 00:26:16

@aRtie_cz 

I have the same setup as you.

From my understanding, if you connect your DECOs to a Switch Hub just like that, DECOs will only work in AP mode, with all routing done on the Router.

It really pains me that DECO wont work in Router Mode in such a configuration.... sigh...

I mean, currently the DECO Mesh relies solely on a single Master Deco to handle all the routing in Router Mode. It is such a waste that the slaves, being of same capability, could not share the routing load.

Options
2019-11-04 01:22:52

@TP-Link Deco is not working here. I have the following topology

I have signal problems in Deco 3 and so I've connected a cable... but it stopped working after some minutes!! When it is wi-fi only everything works fine, but when I connect that cable showed in the picture, it blinks red.

Well, now I realized that all decos are connected to the internet... But I have two good reasons for that:

1) I don`t want other devices lost internet connection if I lose primary deco! I read here that other decos can recover internet connection when I lose primary one... But how they do that if you don`t connect them to the router???

2) There are many other devices in the network that don`t need wifi to work... if I obligate Deco beeing in the middle, all devices will have Deco as a unique point of fail... something that is not necessary and would be bad!

Thanks for everyone.

Options
2019-11-04 02:07:01

Zemmy wrote

@TP-Link Deco is not working here. I have the following topology

I have signal problems in Deco 3 and so I've connected a cable... but it stopped working after some minutes!! When it is wi-fi only everything works fine, but when I connect that cable showed in the picture, it blinks red.

Well, now I realized that all decos are connected to the internet... But I have two good reasons for that:

1) I don`t want other devices lost internet connection if I lose primary deco! I read here that other decos can recover internet connection when I lose primary one... But how they do that if you don`t connect them to the router???

2) There are many other devices in the network that don`t need wifi to work... if I obligate Deco beeing in the middle, all devices will have Deco as a unique point of fail... something that is not necessary and would be bad!

Thanks for everyone.

@Zemmy 

Hey mate,

few quick question/notes:

- I assume your decos are running in AP mode.

- How long is the cable between two TL-SG108 switches?

- When you connect cable to deco-03 , what does the app shows?

- Have you tried different port on the switch where Deco-3 connects?

- What firmware version are you running on Decos?

Options
2019-11-04 05:10:36

@Zemmy 

Just to clarify: based on your diagram, Deco3 is technically connected to the same center Ethernet Switch Hub along with Deco#1.

From my experience, this will work ONLY IN AP MODE! If your Deco is in Router Mode, it will fail.

If you want Router Mode, rewire them like this:

Only DECO#1 (Master DECO) is connected to LinkSys router.

I am not sure if VPN will work for PCs/Laptops as all these devices will have to pass through DECO#1

Options
2019-11-04 06:08:58
Yep, they are in AP mode. Cable is ~15m Firmware is 1.3.1 build 20190617 I just connect now to answer your questions (and trying to use other port) and it is online yet! I`m sorry, but I really tested it many times before. Don`t know why it is working now! I will return to say if it disconnected... Thanks!
Options
2019-11-04 06:26:51

Zemmy wrote

Yep, they are in AP mode. Cable is ~15m Firmware is 1.3.1 build 20190617 I just connect now to answer your questions (and trying to use other port) and it is online yet! I`m sorry, but I really tested it many times before. Don`t know why it is working now! I will return to say if it disconnected... Thanks!

@Zemmy 

Great , glad it's working nowsmiley. Ping here if it dropped.

Btw , to test the old port (if it's issue was with the port) connect a pc and check if it's working or not. If not , i suggest avoid pluggin anything to that port

Options
2019-11-11 16:29:21

@amyhimesama 

Hi, I am looking everywhere with no chance.

I was wonderering whether I can connect 2 slaves in a daisy chain behind a switch (himself behind the master)

All connected via ethernet.

Would it work?

Options
2019-11-14 07:30:42
Options