How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

401 Reply
Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with Deco M5
2018-01-16 16:58:13 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
It is possible to use an Ethernet socket in the Deco 5-2 to connect it to the Deco5-1 and on the other Ethernet jack connect a PC?
Options
2018-01-17 08:23:54 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

Sho_69 wrote

It is possible to use an Ethernet socket in the Deco 5-2 to connect it to the Deco5-1 and on the other Ethernet jack connect a PC?

If you mean [Modem] (ethernet) Deco 1 (ethernet) Deco 2 (ethernet) Computer, then yes, it is possible. That is actually my current setup and it works wonderfully.
Options
2018-01-17 17:00:27 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
Just want to thanks to everyone who contributed their experience on the topic. I gathered up courage and got the Deco M5 today (instead of the Google Wifi or Linksys Velop).
I managed to set up the system and everything seems to run fine.

Hit some problem with the setup of the 1st DecoM5 unit, not knowing what it was asking me.
As my ISP require those modems in front, I thought the app was asking me the IP for the Huawei modem.
Eventually figure out that it was asking. So the first node was setup with "Static IP" and given it 192.168.1.2 (and the rest of DNS detail).

My 2nd Deco M5 unit is at least 10m away with 2 external brick walls and multiple internal walls in between.
The App sometimes tell me the 2nd Deco M5 is not connected (or Offline) but I was able confirm that the wifi is still working.
As I walk from 1st DecoM5 to 2nd DecoM5, I was able to see the WiFi full signal, dropping 2 bars and jumping back to full signal (watching youtube with new buffer filling up).

One thing I had to change is the Desktops are now on DHCP (from static IP).
Does anyone know how to get around this?
Options
2018-01-18 19:22:20 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
Hi KimC
Thanks for the effort in documenting - I find that very helpful when I am looking for a solution.
- with a router from ISP, I recommend to use the Deco M5 in Access point (not gateway) mode. This avoids a double NAT (which could lead to problems)

App has many issues; when background to foreground it often tells me I'm offline. I need to go back to homescreen for it to find it's way.

Configurability is not a strong quality of the Deco M5's. You can freeze DHCP addresses, but not pre-assign them. I recommend freezing the fixed addresses you regularly use.

Good luck!
Options
2018-01-19 08:15:14 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
My ISP also requires that I use their router between my modem and Deco, but I'm using the Deco in router mode only, with most functionality of the ISP router turned off (and no devices connected to it). I haven't had any problems with it, but I'm not sure if switching to router mode instead of AP mode would solve the above problem.
Options
2018-01-24 01:33:22 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
I setup a network of 6 total Decos in a large, single-story building. Initial setup with the app was completed while all AP's were within wireless range of each other and they connected with no problems. When we distributed them throughout the building and connected them to a switch via Ethernet, the Deco units that were out of range were unable to communicate with the base Deco and I got a flashing red light. When I redistributed the AP's so that they were within range of each other, the wireless connectivity between them all worked normally. The base unit has the WAN port connected to a router and its LAN port connected to a switch. The other AP's are connected to the same switch via Ethernet cables.

It does not appear that the wired backhaul is working to connect the Deco units.

Our basic network layout is this:
Internet -> Router -> Base Deco WAN -> Base Deco LAN -> Switch -> 5 Remote Deco LAN

All units are running firmware version 1.1.6 Build 20171103 Rel. 47257.

We need the remote Deco LAN units to be able to communicate with the Base Deco LAN via the wired Ethernet cable plugged into their LAN port.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Options
2018-01-25 09:39:03 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

pcmtechcommittee wrote

I setup a network of 6 total Decos in a large, single-story building....

This should be really frustrating. Hopefully a future update brings the ability to verify that wired backhaul is actually being used. In the meantime, maybe you can troubleshoot the problem. If possible, I would leave the Deco unit to be connected via ethernet where it is, and try moving a separate Deco unit to allow for wifi connectivity. Once you can confirm that all are connected via wifi (in the location you want them to eventually be placed), connect the ethernet, wait a few minutes (maybe run some speed tests on a device connected directly to the final Deco to verify backhaul is working), and then try removing the intermediate Deco. Either the final Deco will remain connected (via ethernet, meaning the deco must first be connected via WiFi and then via ethernet with no power interruption), or it will begin to flash (meaning Ethernet backhaul is not working properly).

A pain in the ass, but TP-Link seems to not quite have worked out all the kinks in ethernet backhaul with the Deco.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Options
2018-01-25 13:40:46 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
I have the same configuration and it works for me. Maybe the problem is switch, I bought a Netgear GS105GE and I worked perfectly.
Options
2018-01-25 16:56:46 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

Sho_69 wrote

I have the same configuration and it works for me. Maybe the problem is switch, I bought a Netgear GS105GE and I worked perfectly.

Very good point! The Deco does seem to be very picky about the switches it uses. Definitely start by wiring directly without the switch and see if the out-of-range Deco can connect.
Options
2018-01-26 01:13:17 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
Good morning everyone. Was about to order a Google WiFi and came across the Deco5 and wanted to run my configuration by some of the experts here. Based on what I've read, this should work. My only concern are some of my D-link switches (not exact matches to some that have had issues, but still). I'm looking to backhaul the Deco5-2 unit and wifi the Deco5-3 units back to the Deco5-1 router.

Proposed setup:

Comcast cable -> Deco5-1 (router) ---- Basement switch (D-Link108, 8 port gb unmanaged) ---- Deco5-2 ---- Bonus room switch (D-Link1008G 8 port gb unmanaged)

Deco5-3 (wifi mesh)

From what I can tell, I can daisy chain through the Deco5 1 (comcast in, local network out) and Deco5 2 (local in, local out to 2nd switch). The Deco5 3 unit would be on the 2nd story and connect wireless to the Deco5 1 router.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Options
Related Articles