Deco VPN Configuration Guide

Released On: 2023-11-07 12:11:09Last update time: 2024-04-01 06:53:44

This Article Applies to all Deco models that support VPN.

Deco VPN Supported List

Contents

1. OverView 

2. Built-in VPN Configurations

3. WireGuard VPN (will support soon.For Deco X50/X55_V1, please refer to 1.5.0 release note.)

• Configuring WireGuard VPN Server

• Configuring WireGuard VPN Client

4. OpenVPN

5. PPTP VPN

6. L2TP/IPSec VPN

7. Troubleshooting

1. OverView

VPN (Virtual Private Network) provides a means for secure communication between remote computers across a public wide area network (WAN), such as the Internet. Virtual indicates the VPN connection is based on the logical end-to-end connection instead of the physical end-to-end connection. Private indicates users can establish the VPN connection according to their requirements and only specific users are allowed to use the VPN connection.
The core of VPN is to realize tunnel communication, which fulfills the task of data encapsulation, data transmission and data decompression via the tunneling protocol. Common tunneling protocols are Layer 2 tunneling protocol and Layer 3 tunneling protocol.
Typical Topology of VPN

2. Built-in VPN Configuration

2.1 NordVPN

2.2 Surfshark

3. WireGuard VPN (For Deco X50/X55_V1, please refer to 1.5.0 release note.)

3.1 Configuring WireGuard VPN Server
3.2 Configuring WireGuard VPN Client

4. OpenVPN

4.1 Configuring OpenVPN Server

Step 1 Please open the Deco APP and go to More > Advanced > VPN Server > Add VPN Server, and select VPN type - OpenVPN.

Description: 
Enter a name for this VPN.

Service Type: 
Select the service type (communication protocol) for OpenVPN: UDP/TCP.

VPN Port:
Enter a VPN service port to which a VPN device connects, and the port number should be between 1024 and 65535.

VPN Subnet/Netmask: 
Enter the range of IP addresses that can be leased to the device by the OpenVPN server.

Client Access: 
Select "Home Network Only" if you only want the remote device to access your home network. 
Select "Internet and Home Network" if you also want the remote device to access internet through the VPN server.

Step 2 Choose the VPN you have saved and click 'Export Config File' to save the OpenVPN configuration file which will be used by the remote device to access your router.

Step 3 Configure OpenVPN connection on the remote device.

(1) Visit https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/ to download the OpenVPN software.
Note: You need to install the OpenVPN client utility on each device that you plan to apply the VPN function to access your Deco router. Mobile devices should download a third-party app from Google Play or Apple App Store.
(2) After the installation, copy the file exported from your router to the OpenVPN client utility’s “config” folder (for example, C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config on Windows). The path depends on where the OpenVPN client utility is installed.
(3) Run the OpenVPN client utility and connect it to the OpenVPN Server.

4.2 Configuring OpenVPN Client

Step 1 Please go to the Deco APP > More > Advanced >VPN Client > Enable VPN Client and 'Add VPN Server' - OpenVPN.
Step 2 Enter the VPN username and password if required by your VPN provider, otherwise simply leave them empty. Then import the configuration file provided by your VPN provider.

>>How to get configuration files from OpenVPN service providers.

5. PPTP VPN

5.1 Configuring PPTP VPN Server

Step 1 Go to Deco APP > MORE > Advanced > VPN Server > Add VPN Server - PPTP

Description:

Client IP Address:
Enter the range of IP addresses (up to 10) that can be leased to the devices by the PPTP VPN server.

Allow NetBIOS Passthrough: 
Enable it to allow your VPN device to access your Samba server using NetBIOS name.

Allow unencrypted connections: 
Enable it to allow unencrypted connections to your VPN server.

Account List: 
Add the PPTP VPN connection account (user name and password) for the remote device. You can create up to 16 accounts.

Step 2 Configure PPTP VPN on the remote client. 

The remote device can use the Windows built-in PPTP software or a third-party PPTP software to connect to PPTP Server. Here we use the Windows built-in PPTP software as an example.
How to setup a VPN connection in Windows

5.2 Configuring PPTP VPN Client

Step 1 Please go to Deco APP > More > Advanced > VPN Client > Enable VPN Client and 'Add VPN Server' - PPTP
Step 2 Enter the VPN server address and the VPN username and password provided by your VPN provider.

Step 3 Click 'Client List'  > '+' to add devices that will use the VPN function.

6. L2TP/IPSec VPN

6.1 Configuring L2TP/IPSec VPN Server

Step 1 Go to Deco APP > MORE > Advanced > VPN Server> Add VPN Server - L2TP/IPSec

Description:

Client IP Address: 
Enter the range of IP addresses (up to 10) that can be leased to the devices by the L2TP/IPSec VPN server.

IPSec Encryption/ IPSec Pre-Shared Key: 
Keep IPSec Encryption as Encrypted and create an IPSec Pre-Shared Key.

Account List: 
Add the L2TP/IPSec VPN connection account (user name and password) for the remote device. You can create up to 16 accounts.

Step 2 Configure PPTP VPN on the remote client. 

The remote device can use the Windows built-in PPTP software or a third-party PPTP software to connect to PPTP Server. Here we use the Windows built-in PPTP software as an example.
How to setup a VPN connection in Windows

6.2 Configuring L2TP/IPSec VPN Client

Step 1 Please go to Deco APP > More > Advanced > VPN Client > Enable VPN Client and 'Add VPN Server' - L2TP/IPSec.
Step 2 Enter the VPN server address, VPN username and password, and IPSec pre-shared key provided by your VPN provider.

Step 3 Click “Client List” >”+” to add devices that will use the VPN function.

Comment

Doesn't work with Deco X20.

Another crappie guide that doesn't even include the right supported models angry

@Nicosilva86 

Hi, I noticed your model number is Deco X20_V2 and it does not support VPN server/client yet. Deco X20_V3 and V4 with the latest firmware has added this feature.

Sometimes there are different hardware versions under one model, It is rather difficult to find whether it supports or not. It would be more accurate to check the firmware release note since VPN is quite an important and will be highlighted in the release note.

And I will check if we could have a detailed supported list with the exact hardware versions.

By the way, the VPN features follow the main Deco and if you could add a new main Deco that supports VPN server/client, the whole Mesh system will have the VPN function.

Thank you again for your notification and best regards.

Does the Deco X50-5g or Deco X50-4g support VPN server setup?

Hello, I've noticed your observation about the Deco X20_V2 model lacking support for VPN server/client functionality. Indeed, the Deco X20_V3 and V4, with their latest firmware updates, have incorporated this feature.

Distinguishing between hardware versions within a model can be challenging, and it would be beneficial to consult the firmware release notes for accurate information, as VPN capabilities are crucial and are likely highlighted in these notes.

It's recommended to explore the release notes thoroughly for the most accurate and up-to-date information. Additionally, a comprehensive list detailing supported hardware versions could provide users with clearer insights.

It's worth noting that VPN features align with the main Deco, and introducing a new main Deco supporting VPN server/client functions would extend this capability to the entire Mesh system.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and I appreciate your diligence in enhancing the user experience. Best regards.

Does the Deco X50-5g or Deco X50-4g support VPN server setup?

@oldscorebook 

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience.

Deco X50-5G/4G does not support the VPN server/client yet.

It is planned to add VPN features on other Decos but the ETA is unclear.

Thank you very much and best regards.

@David-TP is there any further plan for the roll out to X50 5g? I recently bought one and several M4Rs to cover a house and I would really appreciate seeing the feature soon. Actually the VPN was one of the reasons to buy this solution, but I didn't expect that there is a difference between standard X50 and the 5G version in terms of software features...

Thanks for the update!

I have to say. It's very difficult to understand what devices get what features. I bought an X50-5g because I thought it was basically an X50 with 5g failover support. I see now that I can't expect the same features as the X50. What about the X50-PoE or the X50 Pro? Do they support the same firmware?

I did consider getting an X50 and setting it as my main Deco so that I can get support for VPN inn to my home network when away from home. Turns out however that 5g failover only works if it's on the main network. So as far as I can tell, there is no way to get both VPN and 5g failover on my network?

@AleksanderH 

@jayppp 

Hi, Deco X50-5G does not support VPN yet. You can refer to the following Deco VPN support list here:

Deco VPN Server/Client Supported List

Deco X50-POE and Deco X50 Pro support VPN.

And you are right that in a mesh system with Deco X50-5G+Deco X50, it is not possible to get both VPN and 5g failover on the Mesh network.

Thank you very much and best regards.

BIUS

upload
    upload