Speed loss

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Speed loss

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Speed loss
Speed loss
2020-10-13 22:40:38
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.9 Build 20200924

I have a 500mb connection from my broadband provider which is verified by the M5's internal speed test.  However, even when I use a mobile device within inches of the master M5, I only ever get around 370 MB download (using Speedtest.net).  Where has the other 130mb gone?  Surely a device of this nature should not have internal losses that cause a 25% loss in download speed?

David

Options
10 Reply
Re:Speed loss
2020-10-15 03:52:22

@pdeseymour 

Hello, can I confirm some details, and we will try to figure it out?

What is the current network topology/layout? How many Deco M5 do you have in total? How are they connected?

Was the mobile device connected to the 5GHz or 2.4GHz when you did the speedtest? Please check the wireless link speed on it. There might be a difference between the speed tested on the Deco app and the actual speed tested on a client, you may refer to the below link for more details:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1865/

Please connect one computer to the broadband modem directly and test the speed you can get from it to do a simple comparison.

Thanks a lot~

Options
2020-10-19 16:39:48 - last edited 2020-10-19 16:41:57

@pdeseymour Sorry for the delay in responding.  My network comprises 4xM5 and an M4.  An M5 is the master and has 500MB broadband from my ISP.  Three M5s are connected via Ethernet, 1xM5 and the M4 are using WiFi for back-haul.

Standing next to the Master M5, download speeds are as follows:

2.4gb only - 345Mb

5 gb only - 333Mb

Directly connected with PC - 339Mb

So, it looks as though it's not just WiFi that is "losing" speed.  As you can see, somewhere within the Master M5, I am losing around 32% of my download speed.

I hope this clarifies.

David

Options
2020-10-24 14:29:26 - last edited 2020-10-25 12:19:57

@pdeseymour This is going from bad to worse.  I now have only 150mb when standing beside the Master.  I have rebooted the D5 and the Openreach fibre termination box and the incoming broadband still shows 504mb.

I'm getting close to going back to my old router!

David

UPDATE:

I decided to go back to basics and factory reset the whole network.  Here's what I found:

1 ) Having reset the Master, I carried out a speed test with no other Decos or devices connected.  Via WiFi, standing next t the Master I achieved the full 500mb!!

2) I continued to set up the next 4 (3xM5 and 1xM4).  I returned to the Master and conducted another adjacent speed test.  I could only achieve some 200mb

3) I then went to one of the hard-wired remotes and conducted more speed tests.  Each time, the initial spike hit 300mb but during the tests, the speed rapidly dropped to around 100mb before stabilizing.

Following the initial post, I was assured of help from tp-link but have heard nothing.  Could you please look into this asap?

Thanks

Options
2020-11-14 11:05:33

@pdeseymour Over two weeks ago, I provided the required information but have still heard nothing.  I now have a situation where the wi-fi at all of the five stations drops to 50mb.  This has to be resolved by rebooting the Master and is necessary every few days.  Could I please get some assistance!!!   

Options
2020-11-16 08:35:53

@pdeseymour 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Really sorry for the inconvenience.

We would like to forward your case to the senior engineers.

At the same time, could you please help me confirm the following information:

1. The connection of the Decos: Three M5s are connected via Ethernet, 1xM5 and the M4 are using WiFi for back-haul.

Could you please help me draw a simple map marked with their relative distance so that we could figure out how the Decos are connected and the distance between each other?

2. Have you enabled the HomeCare features, like parental control, Qos, Antivirus?---if yes, please try to turn them off temporarily to check the speed again?

3. Please run the speed test as the following:

Case 1: only power on the master deco, check the wireless speed and wired speed;

Case 2: power back the other 4 Decos, and check the wireless speed again;---at the same time, please check which Deco this mobile device is connected;--see attached picture

4.May I know how long have you had the Decos units and how many devices that are connected to the Deco system?

Thanks a lot for your understanding and support.

Options
2020-11-17 11:16:05

@TP-Link_Deco Hi,  I'll address your points:

1) you are correct in your summary.  AS requested, the topology is as follows:

2) I have enabled and disabled the Advanced feature but they had no effect.

3) As shown previously, when only the Master is running, there is very little spped lost over wifi when the mobile is adjacent to the Master.  AS other Decos are connected there is a gradual loss from the master but the total loss in percentage terms when all decos are connected is around 20%he Mobile was adjacent to the Master (Hall).  The mobile device was connected to the Master(Hall).

4) The Decos were purchased on 2nd September.

Please note that the fundamental issue is why the Master suddenly drops to 50mb on Ethernet or wifi (when the ISP feed remains at 500Mb) and the drop is reflected to all stations in the mesh.  This does not seem to be anything to do with which Decos are connected or their position.  The system can remain stable for days before the sudden drop and it is the rebooting of the Master that restores speed to the full mesh.

I hope this provides the information you require. 

Options
2020-12-11 18:05:18

@pdeseymour Deco team,

It took some time to provide the information you requested but I have heard nothing.

David

Options
2021-01-03 14:54:39

@pdeseymour  Still no response.  I am rapidly losing confidence in this product and reporting progress. It shouldn't be up to "the luck of the draw" in a forum to get technical support.

Options
2021-01-04 02:54:36

@pdeseymour 

Good day,

Sorry for the delay.

For your case, we would like to forward your case to the senior engineers for further help.

Please have a check of your email box.

By the way, could you please help me check the following information:

1. How many devices, wired and wireless, would connect to the Deco system in total?

2. Except the Deco, did you still keep another wireless router from the service provider?

Thanks a lot and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-01-04 09:25:44

@TP-Link Hi, on average, I have 13 wired connections and around 20 on WiFi.

I no not have another Router.

Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1408

Replies: 10

Related Articles