Archer AX55 | AX3000 V1 - Restrict VPN Only Traffic

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-25 14:51:38 - last edited 2023-12-05 12:40:17
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.5

Hi, I have Nord VPN on my router (in OpenVPN configuration).

I want devices that access this VPN through router to not be able to use internet while VPN is in connecting state.

Couldn't find anything about this on the internet. Can you help me out.

Regards,
Ali

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer AX55 | AX3000 V1 - Restrict VPN Only Traffic-Solution
2023-11-27 10:15:43 - last edited 2023-12-05 12:40:17

@powder-dev 

Hi, our home routers don't support the VPN Kill Switch now and unable to block internet access only when VPN is not connected.

We've already forwarded the feature request to our development team, once there is any update, we will update the post here: VPN Kill Switch

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer AX55 | AX3000 V1 - Restrict VPN Only Traffic
2023-11-25 19:43:54

@powder-dev 

Hi,

This has already been logged as a feature request.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/615390

If you "Vote" for that request it might increase the chances that it will be implemented sometime.

Options
2023-11-26 08:24:05

@woozle 

It's great somebody requested this as a new feature. However, I looking for something more advanced I was hoping support can tell me a way to re-create something like this using access control, routing rules or firewall rules. Just want to make sure no-device can access internet if VPN is killed.

Options
2023-11-26 17:31:35

@powder-dev 

TP-Link support should be back at work on Monday.

Apart from that, here is how I see it:

Access Control only allows to control which devices can connect to the router's network, but not whether they can access the Internet or not.

TP-Link's home routers don't allow to configure outbound firewall rules.

The TP-Link routers I own (without the VPN Client feature) don't allow me to delete or disable the routes that the router automatically generates on its own, so I can't delete or disable the route to the WAN interface. But you can check this yourself on your AX55 V1. After you've established a VPN connection you should see routes for the WAN interface and for the VPN interface in the "Routing Table" (menu Advanced  > Network > Routing).

Options
Re:Archer AX55 | AX3000 V1 - Restrict VPN Only Traffic-Solution
2023-11-27 10:15:43 - last edited 2023-12-05 12:40:17

@powder-dev 

Hi, our home routers don't support the VPN Kill Switch now and unable to block internet access only when VPN is not connected.

We've already forwarded the feature request to our development team, once there is any update, we will update the post here: VPN Kill Switch

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options