Deco Mesh (x50) and Omada and Starlink / why frequent issues? AP or router mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-04 08:49:48
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.0

Short: I think I need to switch the main Deco to AP mode, but I welcome any corrections, insights or additional info

Setup: Have Starlink (gen 2 w/ethernet adapter) and local ISP ADSL line (rj45 coming out of ISP modem) connected to an Omada router (ER605); the Starlink is primary WAN, ADSL is setup for Line Backup.

Then I have three Deco x50s with ethernet backhaul between them, the Main Deco (which has been in Router mode) was connected to the Omada Lan port. 

The other two Deco x50s are connected (sequentially) via ethernet, for ethernet backhaul.

Tangential context:  My house has very thick stone walls, the Starlink generally works well, but seems to have issues with concurrent video calls as wells as the kids' favourite streaming service; the ADSL is fairly consistent but rather slow speeds (abysmal upload speeds). For those reasons, I have gone with the above setup in hopes of ensuring decent and constant internet throughout the house.
I am not very knowledgable when it comes to IT issues, I read the internet and lack proper background understanding which leads to mistakes.

Issue & Question: Currently (I have only had the Omada installed a few days) the network (the x50 mesh network)  has frequent DNS issues and other unidentified failures (unidentified by me at least, but the Deco app says no internet).
I have been using the main Deco (connected to the Omada) in router mode, but maybe I should switch it to AP mode?  Or is there something else? Do I need to setup VLANs? Do something with DNS settings?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco Mesh (x50) and Omada and Starlink / why frequent issues? AP or router mode
2023-12-05 09:26:44

@DMHS 

Hi, welcome to the community.

I think setting Deco into Access Point mode would be an excellent idea.

Starlink would also provide a router with the Satatellite Dish and ER605 is the DHCP router. When Deco X50 works in router mode, you might have 3 NATs in one network.

Double, even Triple-NATs might sometimes bring issues. You could refer to this link---Double NAT.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options