How can I verify my Homeshield subscription actually works ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-18 12:16:53
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I would be extremely interested to verify that my Deco Homeshield is actually able to block harmfull websites.

Example here -> testdatabaseforcepoint DOT com (add the http in the beginning, as TP blocks links in the forums).

If i pick any example URLs under Security, the Deco service blocks NONE !

So am i paying for nothing ?

Options
4 Reply
Re:How can I verify my Homeshield subscription actually works ?
2023-12-19 09:09:47

@Jerma 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

There hasn't been a shared document about how to safely test the Security+. I would like to follow up on your case via email and consult the engineers for further suggestions.

Best regards.

Options
2023-12-19 09:16:06
feel free to do so.
Options
2023-12-21 08:33:28

I will post TPs reply here for general understanding for others as well, on how the HomeShield+ is designed to work:

Thank you for contacting TP-Link support.

Frankly speaking, I'm afraid the Forcepoint URL Database can't be the only standard to judge if the security web protection take effects or not.

Our homeshield function are in cooperation with Avira, and you can test with the security harmful websites in Avira database.

Definitely you are not paying for nothing and you can test with some other known harmful websites. We would promise that.

An my thoughs on that reply:

The Forcepoint database is only one example of test URL database. They provide their service based on the Internet URL categorization principle where certain URLs are put into a matching URL category.

I would assume that TP Deco's HomeShield via Avira does the same thing when talking about URL protection. It is clear that Avira does not share the same base URL category list as some other providers out there. Thus I would be interested to see URL categorization database used by TP/Avira that is used to provide the website protection services on Homeshield+.

Thus my question still remains the same: Am i paying for nothing ? What is the added value of HomeShield compared to installing free Avira to my device ?

-Jerma-

Options
2023-12-21 10:29:45

More details to my case:

I have now tested the URL earlier given by TP for testing the security service https d2ze9scn6abmic.cloudfront DOT net.

There is no error message of any kind on my browser. Just a white screen and the loading (trying to load) of the page just stops after some time... I would have assumed to get a captive portal page from the Deco with some details like "your session has been blocked due to XXX YYY" or some other sort of information message that some actions have been taken by the Deco device.

Also checking the Deco app Security reports after testing that URL 2 times, I can see that  "2 times" something has happened but there is NO DETAILS what so ever on what. The block history is empty.

So, the added value and provided information from this service is still quite limited.

I really hope that this case will raise enhancement requests to TP product team to have more visibility and reporting for these services.
Options