Parental Controls and Advanced Controls not working

2024-03-13 01:55:03 - last edited 2024-03-13 02:12:51
Model: Deco BE65  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20231211 Rel. 70549

I recently deployed a 3 pack of the Deco BE63 mesh system, updated to the latest firmware, and I created a Child Profile and signed up for the Advanced Parental Controls trial and the schedule is not working at all.  I set the bedtime and the get up time and they are just blocking my son from using his PC.  I need to remove his PC from his child profile in order to get his PC to work again.  I can't see how TP-Link is charging for this software and it doesn't work at all.

Why isn't BE63 or BE10000 even a choice for selecting my model???

Help!!!  

The APP log instructions don't work for me either using this link:  https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/kb/detail/412592

Options
9 Reply
Re:Parental Controls and Advanced Controls not working
2024-03-14 07:55:28

@ScottFern 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

Do you mean the child device doesn't have internet service outside of the bedtime schedule, right?

Can I have some screenshots of the bedtime settings?

As for the system logs, may I know which part here is not like what you saw on your APP?

Would you mind sharing the picture here?

Deco BE63 is for the US region only and you could select Deco BE65 which is similar to BE63.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-03-14 19:10:32

@David-TP 

Sorry, its actually the opposite now. He has 24/7 internet access and the bedtime periods never go into effect. 

Your community forum device drop down doesn't have an available entry for BE63.  So I selected the closest thing to it.  

The link you provide people to go to get their APP logs doesn't work for me because the menus are different.

Options
2024-03-15 02:22:00

@ScottFern 

Hi, Thanks for the update.

The APP feedback entrance has been added to all FAQs under the support center so later you could click anyone in the categories--->Navigate to the bottom of this page>click "No, I need more help"--> Email us.

As for the Bedtime, one possible reason I could think of is the Private Address(Random MAC Address) on the mobile devices. Take Private Address on Apple devices for example, when the MAC address changes on the device, it will be recognized as a new device so that the original parental control rules are no longer useful.

So could you mind turning off "Private Address" on the kid's device to see whether the Bedtime Schedules take effect?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-03-15 13:12:53

@David-TP I still don't see what you are talking about in terms of emailing the logs.  There is no "No, I need more help" on the FAQ page in the app.  Also, we are not talking about mobile devices here. This is a gaming PC that is using the built-in NIC.  As far as I know Windows 11 doesn't support private or randomized MAC for the internal network interface, only the WiFi connection.  

Options
2024-03-15 16:26:43

@ScottFern as far as I know there's no built in toggle for random MAC addresses on LAN cable connections in Windows 10/11 but depending on how tech savvy your son is it's very easy to download a utility to randomly assign a MAC address to bypass these limits. The only effective solution for parental controls would be for TP-Link to use a whitelist approach, instead of a blacklist approach so that only approved devices can connect at certain times.

XE75 V1.0 3-pack / Wired backhaul / Router mode / UK
Options
2024-03-15 16:41:44

@Wrayman My son isn't using a MAC address randomizer on his gaming PC.  Isn't that what the parental controls are doing, approving devices based upon MAC on when they can be online? I can't believe I am on a trial for this product and they want to bill me $18 a year for it. No part of any of this works.  

Options
2024-03-15 23:26:21 - last edited 2024-03-15 23:33:31

@ScottFern I have a two-node XE75 Pro system.  I am running the 1.2.8 beta software.  I don't know what code is shared between different models.  I have the full subscription for Avira/Parental Controls.  I'm having trouble with the bedtime not working consistently.  Also, changes don't always go into effect unless the system is rebooted.  I have been in touch with tech support and had them troubleshoot remotely, collecting logs, etc..  I am super frustrated.  Fixes are promised, but no delivery time is given.  

I have this issue on devices that I can assure you do not randomize mac addresses.

I can't even block/unblock a connection reliably.  Ugh!

Options
2024-03-18 21:29:52

@ScottFern I am now noticing that when I just 'block' my child via his profile and I unblock him it doesn't do anything until I remove his PC from his profile.  This is getting ridiuclous.  Does this work for anyone else?

Options
2024-04-12 18:22:30

@ScottFern Just got a new firmware update today...........fingers crossed it fixes this issue?

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 783

Replies: 9

Related Articles