Deco in AP with PiHole

Deco in AP with PiHole

Deco in AP with PiHole
Deco in AP with PiHole
2024-05-15 09:59:09 - last edited 2024-05-16 07:37:15
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi! I have an Archer C80 as my main router and a few Deco's in Access Point mode. PiHole is connected to router, Main Deco is connected to router and from the Main Deco into a switch where everything else is connected. If I connect on of the PCs via WiFi to the Guest Network of the Deco, I get a DNS error. In Windows when connected to Guest Network, the DNS server shows the correct IP. Any ideas?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco in AP with PiHole
2024-05-15 21:51:22

@traian_n My understanding is that when in AP mode any clients connected to the Guest Wifi Network will only be able and communicate with the router and any other packets intened to local network resources will be dropped.

Options
2024-05-16 07:08:26

@traian_n 

Hi, Did you use Pi-Hole as the LAN DNS server?

Under Access Point mode, the guest network is separated from the main network via Access control, instead of VLAN tags.

The guest client is only allowed to access the LAN gateway, which would be the LAN IP of Archer C80.

In this way, if Pi-Hole is the customized LAN DNS server, it is no longer reachable by Guest network devices.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-05-16 07:38:49

@David-TP So I should replace my router with one that supports the Pi Hole as my WAN DNS instead of LAN DNS and that whould do the trick, correct?

Options
2024-05-17 01:02:02

@traian_n 

Hi, Sorry for the delay.

Yes, if the first main router supports using the LAN Pi-Hole as the WAN DNS server which would be a good solution for the current issue.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 302

Replies: 4

Related Articles