If I connect to this network I can’t remote in from work

2024-08-15 22:37:59
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 220727 Rel.61738n

I can remote in from work if I use my old mesh network but not if I use this node. Something somewhere is stopping it, but I don't seem to be able to set anything up to change this.

Options
10 Reply
Re:If I connect to this network I can’t remote in from work
2024-08-16 09:15:37

@Webe 

Hi

In order to better pinpoint the issue, we kindly request the following information:

1. How do you typically access remotely?
2. If you encounter any error messages during unsuccessful access attempts, please share them with us.

Options
2024-08-16 19:20:40

@Webe 

Options
2024-08-16 19:21:31

12345678as wrote

@Webe 

@12345678as 

Options
2024-08-16 19:27:26

@Joseph-TP 

I replied by email. I guess it didn't show. 

I use ScreensConnect by Edovia and it just spins for a minute or so then says it timed out. 

Options
2024-08-20 03:23:46

@Webe 

Hi

It is advisable to review the settings of the extender to confirm its correct connection to the router and ensure network access.

If feasible, consider attempting to access Screens Connect using an alternative device or network connection, such as your router's Wi-Fi, to help identify whether the issue is specific to a particular device or network configuration.

Options
2024-08-20 07:19:51

@Joseph-TP  I removed the TP-Link from the equation and I am now able to access my computer remotely again. 

so I now have a $70 paperweight. 

Options
2024-08-20 15:39:42

@Webe 

Hi,

Out of interest, may I ask how you implemented the RE450 V4 into your network? I mean, was it connected as a wired access point (switched to "Access Point Mode"), a wireless OneMesh/EasyMesh extender or as a generic wireless range extender?

Options
2024-08-20 15:58:48

@woozle I used it as a generic extender. My mesh is a meshforce m3. I was told that mesh is mesh and this would connect as an extender to my network but it just created its own I didn't see any way to do anything else. 

Options
2024-08-20 22:32:50

@Webe 

When using a generic wireless range extender, then the behavior you described earlier is fundamentally as expected.

These generic range extenders were conceived at a time when there was no standard for extending a wireless network wirelessly. They use some clever trickery to make work what wasn't supposed to work. You can get a little insight by reading the section "How Proxy Mode/Many-to-One Mode works" in this TP-Link article https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/kb/detail/412804.

While these techniques work great for allowing more distant wireless clients to get access to the network, remote access to these clients becomes troublesome. 

That's one of the several reasons why Mesh systems are preferable. 

Options
2024-08-20 22:48:22 - last edited 2024-08-20 22:49:33

Webe wrote

I was told that mesh is mesh and this would connect as an extender to my network ... 

@Webe 

In the heat of the moment I almost forgot to answer to that.

Whoever told you that "mesh is mesh" was unfortunately wrong. It is exactly the opposite. I am not aware of any two Mesh variants on the market that can interoperate with each other.

Sure, there are TP-Link devices that support "OneMesh" as well as "EasyMesh", but that doesn't mean both are compatible with each other. It just means that both Mesh standards were implemented in those devices.

Options