Setting Up X50-POE with VLAN ID to direct 1 port for WAN only
Setting Up X50-POE with VLAN ID to direct 1 port for WAN only
2024-08-20 10:01:34
Model: Deco X50 - PoE  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

Background:

I have bought 2x units of X50-POEs and 1x unit of TL-SG108PE smart switch w/ POE.

I am using the Deco X50-POE as the main router and therefore would like maintain my router in Router mode.

I'm trying to set up my network with the following topology which was expresly NOT ALLOWED at the X50-POE General Questions FAQ page. However, I believe it should be possible with the VLAN setting that exists in the smart switch and Deco X50 with a similar setup to the one found in this guide (www. blacktubi. com/guide/make-any-router-work-on-unifi/).

Main objective:

I believe it should be possible to direct 1 of the port from the main router, to be able to communicate directly with the ISP modem's port only for the WAN/Internet connection + the POE power function. 

While the 2nd port from the main Deco router shall be connected to the switch, in order to provide internal LAN+Internet access to all other devices connected to the switch INCLUDING the secondary Deco router. The secondary Deco router should be able to have backhaul LAN connection to the main Deco, as well as POE to power up itself.

However, I'm not too familiar with which setup I should have on my smart switch's VLAN ID settings and the Main Deco's VLAN ID settings to achieve this. The guide given by Blacktubi only specifies instructions that works for a specific ISP provider from Malaysia (Unifi) however my ISP does not have any VLAN ID requirements for internet access so using different VLAN IDs for the modem will result in no WAN access.

Current setup:

Currently my setup is exactly like the picture attached.

ISP Modem    --(Ethernet)-->   PoE Switch (TL-SG108PE)   <--(Ethernet+POE)-->   Main Deco Port #1 (1GBPS)

<--(Ethernet+POE)-->   Secondary Deco Port #2 (2.5GBPS)

<--(Ethernet+POE)-->   Main Deco Port #2 (2.5GBPS)

The ports on my switch are as connected as below:

Port #1 <-> ISP Modem   // Normal data connection only

Port #2 <-> Port #1 (1GBPS) of Main Deco // Data + POE connection LED blinking

Port #3 <-> Port #2 (2.5GBPS) of Secondary Deco // Data + POE connection LED blinking

Port #4 <-> Empty

Port #5 <-> Port #2 (2.5GBPS) of Main Deco // No lights blinking

Port #6 <-> Empty

Port #7 <-> Personal PC

Port #8  <-> Empty

With my current setup, I'm able to get internet access thru both Deco but the secondary Deco is connected to my Main Deco via Wifi backhaul, which causes weaker and slower Wifi access for devices connected via the secondary Deco.

I would really love to setup VLAN ID so that my modem can communicate with my main Deco privately on the 1st port within their own space, while other devices can have access to the internet and the secondary Deco can have ethernet backhaul with the main Deco via the main Deco's 2nd port. I know that I can specify VLAN IDs for specific ports on the main X50-POE but I'm unsure on what and how to set that up.

Some additional info:

I have actually managed to achieve my preferred setup similar to this at another location following the Blacktubi's guide using 3x units of Deco M9 routers and they were able to communicate effectively with one another using ethernet backhaul.

Can anyone chime in and guide me on how to set up my VLAN ID settings to do this?

Thanks!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Setting Up X50-POE with VLAN ID to direct 1 port for WAN only
2024-08-21 06:27:24 - last edited 2024-08-21 06:31:31

@AlvinT8 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Is the network topology like:

Do you put the TL-SG108PE in front of the two Deco X50-POE in order to use the same switch power on both Deco units?

The Ethernet ports on the Deco don't support tagged VLANs. On the main Deco X50-POE,  actually, it can't figure out that the 1G port is the internet-in port whether 2.5G is the internet-out port and should be used for Ethernet Backhaul.

Moreover, You don't have to put the switch in front of the main Deco, the following layout works as well. The main Deco could work in router mode and still be powered by the same switch.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:Setting Up X50-POE with VLAN ID to direct 1 port for WAN only
2024-08-22 04:14:32

@David-TP I have not considered setting up this way. I wil try it and get back to you!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 131

Replies: 2

Related Articles