Need to downgrade X50 Deco Firmware

3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.5

Today my Deco X50 v1 upgraded automatically to firmware 1.5.5 and everything stopped working.

Ping goes smooth to any host but no connections are stablished. Can't open any page.

Rebooting the deco temporaly makes it work for around 50 seconds, then it stops working again.
Connecting directly to the provider's reouter works fine (the issue is on Deco X50).

Setting the deco to AP instead of Router makes it work "fine", but it's not what I need.

TP Link: Please test your firmwares before releaseing. You always break things at least once a year!

Also, I can't load firmware 1.3.1 or 1.4.1 because your web-interface says "Upgrade failed. Please select the latest version of firmware to upgrade."

You should allow users to downgrade freely! The router is mine, not yours. And if I want to downgrade, it's by busines. You should allow it, period!

Please fix this and try not to start asking useless questions as "have you tried 2.4 instead of 5.8? have you tried rebooting?"

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Need to downgrade X50 Deco Firmware-Solution

Hi  @David-TP and everyone else, on my case I found information about another user suffering from the same. He found out that 1.5.5 enabled QoS and set the max bandwith (upload and download) to 0.1 Mbps.
So, that was happening. I checked on my Deco X50 v1 and the same was happening. So I just disabled QoS and everything went back to normal. Other users just set the right value for QoS and that fixed their irssue.

Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:Need to downgrade X50 Deco Firmware
3 weeks ago

@Phedericvs 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

The firmware downgrade needs to be implemented via firmware recovery-How to use firmware recovery on Deco

(However, the maximum upload file size is 32MB, and ever since 1.3.1, the newly released versions are all over 32MB so you might need to upload the 1.2.2 bin file first, then to 1.4.1 later)

If you don't mind, I've sent a new beta verison for Deco X50_V1 via email. It is suggested to install this version to see whether it helps with the current issue.

In the meantime, May I know who your internet service provider is? 

Would the main Deco turn red when the internet stopped working?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options

@David-TP 

Hi David,

I've got same issue since last upgrade to 1.5.5 (Deco X50 v1.0). Can you send me the new beta firmware to try?

Options
3 weeks ago

@Visconti12 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

Can I have some details about your current issue with Deco X50 after the firmware upgrade?

It would help to find whether the beta firmware helps or not.

As usual, can I have your internet service provider? How about the internet connection type for the IPV4/IPV6 on your Deco?

Options
3 weeks ago

@David-TP Hi, as answered by email:

ISP: Telefonica-Movistar.

IPv4: Static IP.

Really wish to change the actual firmware which is causing a big mess at home!!

Options

@Visconti12 

Hi, Thanks for the update.

Is the "Static IP" configuration clearly requested by the internet service provider?

Currently,  Static IP configuration is rarely used by most internet service providers due to its limited flexibility.

Have you tried the "Dynamic IP" connection type?

It is also suggested to set the IPV4 DNS to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4-How to change DNS server settings on my Deco

Options

@David-TP

Hi David, no static IP configuration is not required by my ISP. Actually I'm using such type to keep the NAS for SMB access in my home network.

About the manual DNS, I've chosen 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 looking the fastest/best performance from my site, according to DNSBench conclusions.

After resetting the Deco and update Movistar-router, the system comes to normal status and I've noticed that IPs have changed since last time. I'm afraid it's a bug of the Deco firmware as it's stated as Static IP. And the behaviour is exactly the same IP conflit I suffered in the past with my iPhone.

Questions:

1) Advisable to update to beta firmware 1.6.0 now or wait for any further issue?

2) If I change to Dynamic IP, how can I assign a number to the NAS and sure not to be retaken?

Thanks

Options
Re:Need to downgrade X50 Deco Firmware-Solution

Hi  @David-TP and everyone else, on my case I found information about another user suffering from the same. He found out that 1.5.5 enabled QoS and set the max bandwith (upload and download) to 0.1 Mbps.
So, that was happening. I checked on my Deco X50 v1 and the same was happening. So I just disabled QoS and everything went back to normal. Other users just set the right value for QoS and that fixed their irssue.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 weeks ago

@Visconti12 

Same page here but with VPN. The performance has decreased with V1.5.5 for me.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Visconti12 

Hi, Thanks for the update.

If it is back to normal now, we don't need to update to 1.6.0 beta for now.

If you hope the NAS always gets the same IP, I think you could reserve the IP address on the Deco APP for the NAS or set a static IP address on the NAS directly:

How to configure Address Reservation on a Deco

For the remote access to NAS, if you are worried the IPV4/public address on Deco is always changing, you could enable DDNS on Deco:

How to use DDNS features on a Deco router

As for the internet connection on Deco, if the "Static IP" is not required by ISP, to ensure a stable connection, it is suggested to use "Dynamic IP".

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2 weeks ago

@David-TP 

Hi, thanks for the answer.

My NAS got a fix IP in lower range than DHCP server that can be reserved. Anyway I'll consider to change it.

About the connection, in despite IPv4 is static, my Deco-X50 is using a DHCP server with a range of IPs which were changing to devices eventually. It's like a bug as I've noticed my iPhone was changing from .105 to .107 or .104. It seems this 1.5.5 firmware has not clear way to workaround.

I'm maintaining the static IP system from my previous connection before I've moved to 1mgb.  What's the real benefit of dynamic IP for Deco-X50 setting?

Best regards

Options