Remote schedule override facility for holiday home?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-13 12:22:21

First time post - any help appreciated!

Question relates to a holiday home that we use some, but not every, weekend.  Bought 3 x HS100 smart plugs which control individual portable electric oil filled radiators for heating the 3 main rooms.  Manual thermostat dials on each radiator then control when to switch on / off heating element to maintain a certain temperature.  Its not overly accurate but if I got electric radiators with digital timers and digital thermostats these would lose the settings when switched off for long periods of time.

Smart plugs are connected to wifi router in holiday property and I can control on/off and schedules via the Kasa app on my smartphone.

I set the same weekend schedule for all 3 plugs that provide some pre-heat to us arriving and switches the radiators on when we are there. I created a group of all 3 plugs.  There are weekends we are not up at holiday home and don't want to waste energy heating the home those weekends.  

I created a kasa "group" of all 3 plugs and thought that by switching the group on/off this would provide an override to the schedules of each plug - but it doesn't, the schedule still kicks in on Friday even though the group was switched off.  

The only way to stop the schedule from kicking in on the weekends we are planning to be at the holiday home is to go into each smartplug via the kasa app, go to schedule and toggle the off switch for each schedule setting (so 3 plugs x 4 settings = 12 actions plus navigation).

My question for any interested people out there is:

- is there any other functionality within the Kasa app that would allow me to switch off all schedules for all 3 plugs in a group with one action (scene, smart action etc).  Away mode doesn't cut it as it switches things on radonmly)

- OR is there an IFTTT command I could use to replicate the 12 actions to switch off each schedule for each plug - using something like an alexa app command?  There doesn't seem to be an IFTTT option to use a kasa app action (like switching off the group) that could trigger the switching off of all schedules.

Any help much appreciated! 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Remote schedule override facility for holiday home?
2019-01-15 06:28:16

We can only turn on/off a group, cannot switch off schedules with a group.

No IFTTT or Alexa command support that either. 

But I don't see why you need those schedules to be honest. It seems you don't go to the holiday house often or at regular basis. Schedules, to my opinion, is used by those who need it on or off for some regular things, like turn on the light at sunset. 

You can just turn on the group when you are setting off or when you are close to the holiday house. That's very convenient too I think. 

Options
Re:Re:Remote schedule override facility for holiday home?
2019-01-15 18:08:17

I think the idea is to have the schedule run when they're at the holiday home to make it more comfortable without manually changing everything, and have them stay at a lower setting whenever they're not on there.

One option would be to use AutomationManager as an automation server on a low end android phone (walmart/bestbuy/target, $20-$30) that you leave running at the holiday home with AM remote access enabled.

Then you can setup your schedules on it with a remote off/on button to enable/disable the schedule on your carry phone whenever you're planning to be there.  Plus other things like start a warmup cycle when you're on your way, run them on a different schedule when you're not there, etc.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 943

Replies: 2

Related Articles