Replacing ceiling fan and light switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-01 05:54:59
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am replacing two switches in a 3 gang set up that control my ceiling fan with two HS200 switches. One switch controls the lights and one controls the fan.  It is not a three way.

When removing the old switches I found that the black wires coming into the box were connected with a nut, and then the same wire was wrapped around the screw on each switch, so the switches were sharing the wire.  Also, both switches were sharing a ground.  The light switch had one red wire feeding into the back.  The fan switch had two wires, red and a black, feeding into the back. 

Can I replace these switches with two HS200?  If so, what is the set up?  The issue is that the fan switch seems to have three lives wires, where the HS200 only has capacity for two. 

Thanks.  

Options
2 Reply
Re:Replacing ceiling fan and light switch
2019-12-04 10:48:11

@JasonGibson 

Below is the instruction to install the HS200. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1128/

And there are 3 lines must be connected: one live line, one load line and one neutral line. You can read the article below:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1262/

Besides, if there are 3 live wires for the fan switch, I'm not sure whether they can work together. You can contact the technician to get some help.

Good day. 

Options
Re:Replacing ceiling fan and light switch
2020-08-03 02:17:14
Just to close this one out for other searchers. Most likely, the original electrician used a 3-way wire (red, white, black, copper) to handle the fan unit. They all share white/ground, while the black powers either the fan or light and the red powers the other. As such, yes, a pair of hs200's will handle that setup. Hope this helps others!
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3230

Replies: 2