Light does not turn on - HS 220 Light switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-05 16:28:24
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I recently purchased an HS 220 Dimmer switch and so far have not gotten it to work.

I removed the old light switch to find a red and black wire both connected to the light switch, and a white wire with the shielding still around it not connected to anything.

I went ahead and connected the black wire to the "Line" port, the red wire to the "Load" port, and I connected the white wire, after stripping a bit of shielding to the "Neutral". I left the ground free / contacting the metal box that the switch is in.I also tried switching the "Live" and "Load" red/black wires.

Turning the power (flipping the breaker) back on has resulted in no apparent turning on of the HS 220 (no blue lights on the switch itself) and the lights controlled by the switch stay off. I tried holding the reset button and clicking the switch many times.

Currently my differential includes:

1) A broken unit

2) The white wire in the wall is not actually neutral and/or not plugged into the electrical box. (How can I figure this out?)

The only thing I can see are a red, black, and white wire that comes into the switch box all together, very close. I assume they all run together in the wall. There is not 2 white wires and there is not a ground I can see. I am not connected to a ground, but I believe this is fine. I did set up a HS 105 plug and it was very quick and easy. This isn't a problem with the app.

Any help is appreciated.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Light does not turn on - HS 220 Light switch
2020-10-06 00:23:21

@bar17 Sure sounds like the white isn't a neutral, it might be spare coming from the load side.   To me it sounds like you're working on the end of the line and there's no neutral available - if so you won't be able to use the switch there.  It's possible the white is there but isn't hooked up on the other switch either - maybe check to see if there's a line-in wire there (two bundles rather than the single bundle you're seeing here) and whether you can connect the whites.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1208

Replies: 1