Tapo C100 not showing video stream over WiFi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-01 01:20:45 - last edited 2021-02-02 02:19:03
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20191026 rel.13901

Hello,

I have 3 x TP-Link Tapo C100 cameras and have installed them through the Tapo app over my WiFi without any problem. I can format the SD card, update cameras firmware to latest version (already done), set notifications, etc. from the app. The only thing I cannot do is view live video when my cell phone is connected to the same WiFi as the cameras. The stream tries to load and then times out, every single time.

When I disconnect the WiFi on my cell phone and log into the app through the cellular network (4G LTE), the video streams work perfectly and load very fast. Thus, something in the router is obviously preventing (blocking) me from viewing the C100's video stream over WiFi.

Router :

• Tp-Link Archer C4000, hardware v3.0, with the stock (latest available) firmware.
  • "Smart connect" for the 2.4G / 5G bands is ON.
  • The anti-virus ("malicious content filter", "intrusion prevention system" and "infected device quarantine") is set to ON.
  • "Enable SPI Firewall" is also set to ON (default setting).
  • Router's Primary and Secondary DNS : 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

The anti-virus in the Archer C4000 router appears to have blocked the cameras on previous occasions, with the following note in the log :

"Device owner :  (cell phone's make/model or MAC address)

Blocked : 192.168.0.139 

Intercept reasons : WEB HTTP Negative Content-Length Buffer Overflow -1"

(note : other IPs also listed on same log events, for the other C100 cameras)

Thank you on letting me know how to proceed in fixing this issue. I really want to be able to view these cams over my WiFi and have figured that having both a router and cameras made by TP-Link would prevent any compatibility issues. I have bought these products recently with that purpose in mind.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Tapo C100 not showing video stream over WiFi
2021-02-01 03:27:16

@Matt2021 

Hi,

Did you use IPhone and have you enabled the local network for Tapo APP on the cellphone setting?

And please also make sure both the camera and Tapo APP on the latest firmware version;

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-02-01 03:55:23 - last edited 2021-02-01 23:16:41

@TP-Link 

Thank you for your quick reply.

No, I do not have an iPhone. My cell phone is a Sonim XP8 running Android 8.1

The app has been downloaded from Google Play two days ago (v2.2.41) and I upgraded all 3 of my C100 cameras to the latest firmware (v1.0.17), after I completed their installation through the Tapo app.

Here's the video stream loading timeout I get every single time, but only when connected to app over router WiFi. Router's anti-virus error log reports "WEB HTTP Negative Content-Length Buffer Overflow -1" every single time, for each camera. Video stream cannot be viewed at all.

When accessing app through cellular network (phone's WiFi turned OFF), everything works great on all 3 cameras.

Options
2021-02-01 23:11:24 - last edited 2021-02-02 22:12:05

@TP-Link 

Hello again,

Just to make sure it's not my cell phone causing this issue, I tried a diffrent Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S7) with a fresh copy of Tapo app installed.

I have the same video stream time out in the Tapo app with the cell phone's WiFi turned ON, and the same error in the router's log. This makes it obvious that the issue is either in the router's anti-virus / firewall or in the Tapo app :

(note : all my other devices such as Skybell video doorbell, Reolink camera NVR and internet devices work flawlessly on this same router / WiFi connection. Only the Tapo C100 cameras get blocked and generate an error in the router's log.)

Options
2021-02-03 03:20:25 - last edited 2021-02-03 03:40:59

@TP-Link 

UPDATE :

I have found a temporary solution, until TP-Link / Trend Micro find a permanent fix : in order for the cameras to stream video over WiFi through the Archer C4000 router, you need to turn off the "Intrusion Prevention System" option in the router's Antivirus (under the "Advanced" --> "Security" menu).

The video stream now loads immediately over WiFi. However, the security message center displays a "Protection Limited" message and advises to enable the "Intrusion Prevention System" back on.

TP-Link : Please address this issue with your technical team, as I have ordered this router specifically because of the added security it offers. Please advise when this compatibility issue will be resolved and a fix available.

Solution : Turn OFF the "Intrusion Prevention System" in router :

With "Intrusion Prevention System" turned off, the video stream now loads over WiFi in about 1 second :

Options
2021-02-05 08:06:17

@Matt2021 

Hi, thank you very much for your detailed information.

Your case has been reported to our senior engineers already for further assistance.

We would like to follow up on your case via email as well.

Later if once there is any improvement, I will update the email.

Thanks a lot and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-02-07 03:33:57 - last edited 2021-02-07 03:35:41

@TP-Link 

Thank you for your reply and quick action. I have received the following information from the TP-Link support team by e-mail :

"Dear Customer,

We have tested these models in our lab, and have repeated this issue.

It is related to the protocol when the packets transmit, now we are analyzing it and trying to fix it, will give you an update as soon as possible."

As well as another e-mail shortly afterwards :

" Now we have located this issue and fix this issue with a new version Tapo APP."

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1223

Replies: 6

Related Articles