TP-Link HS200 & HS220 Not always reconnecting to TP-Link Archer AX50 on power loss or router reboot

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP-Link HS200 & HS220 Not always reconnecting to TP-Link Archer AX50 on power loss or router reboot

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-22 18:54:02

I have a TP-Link Archer AX50 WiFi V6 WiFi acess point in the house.  I have about 15 TP-Link HS200 and HS220 wall switches and dimmers connected to the access point.  Everyhing is setup and working. If I reset the access point all the wall switches will start blinking green.  When WiFi is back up 90% of them connect.  The other 10% keep blinking green for a while and then they turn solid red.  If I reset the WiFi access point again, the ones that did not connect will connect but there will be another 10% that never connect.  The wall switches that do not reconnect are 100% random and change every time I reset the access point.  It not a range issue.  I have the latest firmware in both the TP-Link access point and the TP-Link wall switches.  They only way to get them back on is to re pair them. After I do that evething works until I reset my access point again.  Then I lose 10% of them. Does anyone know of any settings I can change on the access points or the wall switches to fix this?

Options
7 Reply
Re:TP-Link HS200 & HS220 Not always reconnecting to TP-Link Archer AX50 on power loss or router reboot
2021-02-25 11:00:34

@Judgeless 

Hi,

Did the AX50 work as the wireless router or the access point?

As for the reset, did you mean power off and power back the AX50, not holding the reset pinhole for 10?

Would manually pressing the restart button on the switch itself restore the connection?

Have you tried to change the wireless channel on the 2.4ghz to channel 11 to have a look?

By the way, when they are online, without rebooting the router, would they stay online always?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
Re:TP-Link HS200 & HS220 Not always reconnecting to TP-Link Archer AX50 on power loss or router reboot
2021-02-26 15:31:14

Did the AX50 work as the wireless router or the access point?

The AX50 is connected to my Xifinity Cable Model that gets a static IP.  The AX50 being used at a Access Point and a Wireless Router.  It uses NAT and is a DHCP server to all the clients in the house.

As for the reset, did you mean power off and power back the AX50, not holding the reset pinhole for 10?

I am only powering it down and back up.  When you hold a the reset for 10 seconds the AX50 loses all settings and would have to be re configured.  That is not a good solution.  If you did that every time it would take 30 min to set it back up.

Would manually pressing the restart button on the switch itself restore the connection?

No it would not.  You have to go into the Kasa app and pair the device again.  It does ask if you would like to keep the exiting settings.  It does keep the existing settings but it is a manual process that you have to do on 20% of the switches every time the access points is rebooted. 

Have you tried to change the wireless channel on the 2.4ghz to channel 11 to have a look?

I have not, Is that something you suggest that might fix the issue?

By the way, when they are online, without rebooting the router, would they stay online always?

Yes.  Once they are connect they work perfect.  The second I reboot the TP-Link access point 20% of the TP-Link switches do not re connect.  The ones that reconnect are random.  I can reset the access point a second time and the ones that would not reconnect get connected but others that connected before do not.

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-02-26 18:30:21
"Reset" of the router is confusing (and would make a mess), seems like you meant "restart" (power cycle). There's a small restart button at the bottom of the HS200's and HS220's, try restarting the delinquent ones to reconnect. A factory reset is usually best avoided once the switches have connected to your wifi and your TP Lnk account. Is your router also broadcasting wifi? If so, make sure the router and AP use different SSIDs or the HS's may connect to the wrong (weaker) signal.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2021-02-26 21:49:06

@MikeP I understand the differnce of reseting the router by pressing a reset button or powering it down and back up.  You would get the same results.  I did not do a system reset by holding a pin in for 10 seconds.

I understand the reset button also on the HS200.  It has three modes, tap in onces it resets, push it for 5 seconds and it goes into pair mode, push it for 10 seconds and it will factory reset.  I tried taping it and it still does not connect. I have to tap it for 5 seconds and it blinks orange.  Then I use the Kasa app to re pair it.  Then it works again.  If I power down the access point that same switch will connect the next time.  Buy 20% of the others will not.

My Arris cable modem router does not have WiFi and only one device is connnected to it, the TP Link AX50. It does not have anything to do with this issue.  My SSID is is being broadcast from only the TP Link AX50 access point. It is not hidden. I do have a 2.4 and 5GHz SSID's.  I belive the HS200's only connects at 2.4GHz because the 5GHz SSID does not show up when looking for networks.  

Options
2021-02-27 03:14:13

@Judgeless I understand - in your first post you said you reset your AP, I was pretty sure you meant restart but I think you confused the TP Link support person.

Right, the kasa devices are 2.4GHz only.

You might have the buttons mixed up for reset vs restart of the HS200.  The *reset* button on the bottom left is used for the 5s wifi setup mode, and 10s does the factory reset as you mention.  Tapping it does nothing.  I would avoid using it if your devices have already connected before the AP restart.

Instead use the "restart" button at the bottom right of the paddle - just click it.  You should see the HS200 reboot right away, it could take a few minutes to connect or give up.  It's probably worth trying 2 or 3 times before giving up yourself and trying a reset.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2021-02-27 15:39:31

@MikeP You are 100% correct.  I read that completely wrong.  I just hit restart on one and it connected fast.  I will try that next time I reset the router.  It is still odd that they do not all auto connect on reboot.  And again he ones that do not connect are random each time you reboot.  It is almost like the router can only let so many switches join at once and it bans the last ones.

Options
2021-03-18 16:56:31

@Judgeless Today I had to power my cable modem and TP-Link Archer AX50 access point.  Out of the 15 switches only one did not connect.  It just keeps blinking green.  I tapped the reset button on the HS2XX switch and it connected right away.  That does help but I still wonder why it happens.  You would think that both the AP and switches are the same brand they would work well together.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 908

Replies: 7