Kasa devices reboot randomly

Kasa devices reboot randomly

52 Reply
Re:Kasa devices reboot randomly
2022-08-07 13:39:28

Following up on my original post because the behaviour of the light has changed. Previously when it was randomly turning off and on the light could be operated in an otherwise normal fashion, ie. it could be turned off and on and the dimming function was operating as expected. However sometime by late yesterday evening the light was not responding properly to being turned on and off nor to the dimming level being changed. Basically it seems like it is now VERY slow to respond. Turning the light on it starts at a low light level and it takes a minute or more to reach full brightness and turning the light off it stays lit for a long time (again over a minute) until it eventually just turns off. When changing the brightness level it also takes a long time for it to respond. I have tried factory resetting it multiple times and it has had no effect. Also it appears that it has stopped randomly turning on and off but perhaps this new slow-to-respond situation is masking it.

Given this new behaviour I'm unsure if what is happening to our switch is even related to the problem described in this thread but I will wait until someone at TP-Link gets an opportunity to look at this to try and help figure out what's going on.

Options
Re:[Solution] Kasa devices reboot randomly
2022-08-07 17:55:04 - last edited 2022-08-07 17:57:12

Me again. Several months now, since I disabled (those #%@€&!!) Amazon Hunches, and not a single issue with device reboots since. It's very clear that Amazon Hunches were responsible for the issues that I was seeing all along.

It also makes me sad that I was so hard on TP-Link because this means all along their product has been operating rock-solid. I literally have never had a single issue with them except this, and this turns out was not caused by them.

I'm sorry, TP-Link… I am happily still an avid supporter and have even bought more since. 

Options
2022-08-11 08:41:24

Hello  @cailinkins 

Thank you for the feedback, to reduce the possible influence from other network device or software, you could connect HS220 V3 to a Guest Wi-Fi network and see if stops the reboot behavior.  Or you could uninstall Home bridge app temporarily for a test. 

May I know how often the switch reboot randomly ? After factory reset the switch, if leave the switch in factory default state (orange and green), will the switch reboot? 

The smart device responding slow usually relate to the router's Wi-Fi network or Wi-Fi environment, we will create a support email for your case to take a further look at the reboot and delay issues.  Please check your email inbox for 

Options
2022-08-11 17:32:11

@Solla-topee 

Hello! Thank you for getting back to me :)

I have responded in detail to the support email you sent but I'll follow up here as well in case it helps.

Connecting the HS220 to a guest network seems to have stopped the random on/off behaviour. Disabling HomeBridge but keeping the HS220 on the main network did not make any difference however.

The switch seems to reboot randomly, I would say probably once every 10 to 30 minutes or so? Definitely multiple times an hour. I didn't leave it in the factory default state for very long but it did not seem to reboot randomly while it was in that state.

The slow response behaviour seems to have cleared itself up on its own the other day and while I cannot confirm it I feel like it's probably related to the random on and off behaviour.

Options
2022-08-22 08:06:48

Hello   @cailinkins 

Thanks again for all the case details, i got your case escalated through TKID220812748 support email and notice our senior engineer recommend collecting packet using WireShark, if you have trouble doing that yourself or have questions, kindly reply the support email directly, so they could assist further, thanks. 

Options
2022-08-22 17:57:21

@Solla-topee I should be able to handle running WireShark I just need to set aside some time to get it done, probably later today. Thank you so much!

Options
2022-09-20 03:06:09

@Solla-topee 

Old thread but seems to be the same problem I am seeing. A couple months ago my 2 KL110 (hardware v1.0, firmware 1.8.11) started misbehaving.

1. During ON time they will randomly go off, and then on immediately. Its fast enough that it feels like a power spike but no other devices or bulbs show that there has been an issue. For a few seconds after this the bulbs will not respond to Alexa.

2. Randomly during OFF time they will come on. Quite disconcerting at 2am in the bedroom! Oddly enough they never do this during the daytime. They only seem to do it for an hour or 2 after we have turned the lights off at night. They will turn on 0, 1 or 2 times and then will stay off the rest of the time. If we don't use the lights one evening then they will not randomly turn on. Again immediately after this behavior they will not respond to Alexa who reports that they are unavailable for about 20-30s

It seems to me that there's some sort of reboot happening in both these cases however they are both on the latest firmware.

Hunches are turned off on Alexa, Guard mode is not in use.

Any ideas?

Options
2022-09-20 08:01:31 - last edited 2022-09-20 08:01:46

Hello  @Andy-D 

Thank you for the feedback, if the reboot behavior happen during a fixed period of time like, it is recommended to check if there are any Routines setting in the Alexa APP. 

Check if there is Schedule/ Timer/ Away mode settings for the bulbs. You could factory reset one of the bulb and reinstall it in the Kasa APP. Try to connect to a Guest Wi-Fi network and see that makes any difference. 

Options
2022-09-20 19:18:49 - last edited 2022-09-20 22:09:51

@Solla-topee It does not happen at a fixed time, nor does the power on happen a fixed time after we turned it off.

I've checked Alexa and Kasa app for schedules and routines - there are none. I removed the devices from Alexa completely and it still happened.

Last night I did a factory reset and it still happened.

Tonight I will factory reset and connect to my guest network. Though there is a router in the same room as the bulbs so its hard to image there is a connectivity problem. Also do these devices really reboot if they lose connectivity. That seems an odd design choice.

These bulbs have worked just fine for several years before this started happening.

Options
2022-09-26 21:03:46

@Solla-topee I've moved both bulbs to the guest network. It is still happening. Right now it seems to happen a little less? maybe? but I only have 3 days of testing.

Is there any way to get the bulbs to produce a log file or something to explain what events are happening and why they may be going on and off?

Options