KP105 - Running Local mode, still trying to access internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-16 08:38:10 - last edited 2021-05-30 13:56:56
Model: KP105  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6

Hello,

Just bought a pair of KP105's with the design being that I will control them via Home Assistant, I choose to restrict all my IOT devices to a vlan without external access and only allow them to communicate with the Home Assistant instance.

What i'm seeing is that when doing the initial setup of the device in local-only mode via the kasa app it would not complete without internet access, to complete the setup i granted it temporarily which got the device working. I then revoked the external access and it continued to work, what I now see though is that every 5-10~ seconds it is trying to access an external host. I played around with blocking it at different levels (for example stop it getting dns on 53) but it would then sit there and try constantly to get dns from the router.

Is anyone else using the plugs in the same way, whilst it does work currently and the external block works I would prefer to have it respect the fact I don't want it to try and reach outside my network because thats what I asked it to do :)

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Cheers,

SuudoXR

Options
5 Reply
Re:KP105 - Running Local mode, still trying to access internet
2021-05-18 03:47:27

@SuudoXR Hello, 

You could try to log out tp-link ID / email account and add KP105 again on Kasa app and see if  it is still sending the DNS request. 

If plug is still the sending DNS request, I‘m afraid that can not be stopped 

Options
2021-05-22 20:12:13

@Solla-topee Thanks for the reply,

Yeah I did try that the second time, unfortunately it still tries to call out constantly, shame really..

Cheers,

SuudoXR

Options
2021-05-24 12:16:05

@SuudoXR Hello,  

Thank you for your update, unfortunately that should be the design on the plug software, it tried to access Internet all the time. 

Options
2021-05-30 13:34:49
You didn't ask the switch to stop trying to reach the internet, you asked the app to stop allowing you to connect to it remotely. The switch needs to reach an NTP service before it can run rules with schedules - it'll keep retrying until it finds out what time it is. You might not need that but most customers do. Doesn't sound like much of an inconvenience or very unfortunate... esp since you're using the local API which TP Link does not publish nor support.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2021-05-30 13:56:04 - last edited 2021-05-30 13:56:50

@MikeP  Edit: Re-read your post, kind of follow your logic but not sure what the point of your comment really was. I haven't come here kicking of that it doesn't do what I wanted it to, just asked a simple question of its capability. I agree that most users would not use the device in the way I do but thats no reason to say its not really an inconvenience  (your words not mine).

I will lock this thread as I was more than okay with the last response from TP link and dont feel the need to get unhelpful comments from others.

Regards,

SuudoXR

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1028

Replies: 5

Related Articles