Smart Switch loses wifi connection if I block it from internet access

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-28 17:03:48
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have several Kasa smart devices throughout my home, and I found a troubling trend with the HS220.  If I block any HS220 from accessing the internet via my firewall the switch will disconnect from wifi after a few hours and only reconnect only after I restart the device.  If I unblock it in my firewall it stays connected with no problems.  IOT devices from any brand are a major security risk so I prefer to keep them on my local network only with no internet access.  I have HS200 switches, smart plugs, and smart bulbs that have no problems.  My 2 HS220 dimmers both have this issue and are only 10 feet from my wireless access point.

Has anyone found a way to fix this?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Smart Switch loses wifi connection if I block it from internet access
2021-07-01 06:14:18

@Felipeconqueso  Hello, 

It is possible that HS220 software has not been particularly designed for local control.

Please make  sure HS220 firmware and Kasa app version are up to date.

Can you help confirm some case details and we would like to look into the case further: 

For "switch will disconnect from wifi after a few hours and only reconnect after I restart the device. ", does HS220 disappear from router's DHCP client list, what is the IP address of camera at that time, can you ping camera on phone/ computer which connected to local Wi-Fi? 

May I know the model of your router, and how about your network topology?  May I have a photo of your router's Firewall settings for HS220?

Does HS220 have strong wifi from router? Kasa app--- Device Settings-- what is the MAC address & Signal strength (tap the WiFI icon ) of your HS220? 

Thank you for your information. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 905

Replies: 1

Related Articles